Chapter 18: What's That On Your Neck?

I woke. The sun glinted through the thin blue curtains of my window. Rolling over, I felt all the pain I had ignored yesterday radiate sharply through my body. Now I realized how heavy the wooden chair had been. While I had been successful in my venture to get the vampire off Brinley, I was completely unsuccessful at stopping the ache rising in my body. I moaned.

There was another pain, one that wasn't in my back and shoulders. One that stung like hell in the crook of my neck. Victor. I opened my eyes to blink and found a little black cat curled into a ball, one paw stretched out, grazing a strand of my hair that had somehow come undone during the night. I peered at the black fuzzy creature, noticing Victor's other paw was blocking his eyes from the sunshine. I smiled and then winced.

What I had thought was a dream was anything but. Victor had kissed me. No. No, Victor had bitten my lip and then, when the first drop of blood hit his tongue, turned his attention to the crook of my neck, where he fed on me.

Victor had fed on me!

I swallowed at the sudden realization of our intimate encounter. I'd watched movies where the vampire kills the human once they bite them, except for that one movie that shall not be named. Jenna loves that movie to this day. I had to go see every one with her in the theatre as I wallowed in upset over how cheesy they were. And now it seemed that I was living that cheesy dream with the vampire that was pretending to be a cat in my bed.

What was Victor's game? Was my home just a convenient place for him to stay? Was I just some easy meal?

My stomach churned. Shame rolled through my belly. I scooted out from under the covers, noticing that I was still in my jeans from last night. I looked down. The white shirt around my neck was hanging in shreds. Oh shit.

"I really wasn't dreaming," I murmured. I headed to the bathroom, only looking back briefly at the soft bundle of fur that was Victor sleeping on my bed. "When you wake up, you have a lot to explain to me." The fuzzball curled his paws, a gentle smile crossing his face. I wish I could sleep that well.

I sighed and left the room to look at the damage in the bathroom mirror.

I stared in horror at the massive bruise on my neck. Hickey would not even begin to describe the deep purple and red welting on my skin. Two small puncture wounds scabbed over between my shoulder and neck told me everything I needed to know about last night. Even my lips told the tale well. The bottom one was swollen from Victor sucking on it. The top one slightly too plush. I turned the faucet on to the coldest setting it would go and splashed myself several times with water. "Calm down, Phillip. You got this," I pulled a blue towel down from the rack and wiped my face. This would be hard to hide.

A shower was in order. All my lower extremities were getting hot, trembling from something other than upset. My thoughts had turned from embarrassment to suddenly other things, and I couldn't, I wouldn't think of Victor that way. Victor was a man. A man!

Water sprayed on me, cold and biting. I willed the throbbing part of me to go down.

"Oh god! Who am I kidding?! What the hell happened last night? What the hell did we do? What does it mean?!... Was it just bloodlust or...?" My thoughts trailed off into the memory of his mouth on mine. His strong hands as they held me against the bathroom door. His powerful fingers as they ripped the fabric away from my body. The soft caress of his lips. His labored breathing. The piercing of his teeth into the softness of my flesh.

Victor had been so gentle. Despite being so viciously hungry. And I had passed out in the middle of it like some teenage girl!

"Ugh!" I planted my soaking face between my hands. Beads of water ran down my arms across my body, hitting the tub floor. I had no idea what to do. And rather than try and make a big deal out of it, I decided that the best thing to do, was to pretend like nothing had happened.