Chapter 46: We Have To Save Her

"Phillip!... Phillip, wake up!" The hard flesh of a hand smacked my face. I opened my eyes to see Thomas kneeling above me– naked and caked in blood, yet, there was not a gaping wound in sight. By some miracle, he'd been healed. I didn't dwell on the details. If I did, I'd again find myself adding bile to the pile of red that decorated my bathroom floor.

"Jesus Christ, Phillip! Get ahold of yourself! Where's Victor?"

"Soreana," I manage to mumble out. "Jenna! Oh god!" I wailed.

"Shit!" Thomas pulled me upright.

"How are you alive right now?" I felt faint– I was shivering all over. How the hell was Thomas standing right here in front of me? Vampirism was something else.

"The details don't matter," Thomas said, dragging me off the floor.

"They kind of do," I muttered. Looking down, I noticed that I was not much better off than Thomas in the gore department. We both needed a shower...bad.

"Not right now, they don't." Thomas looked around nervously. "Where have Victor and Soreana gone off to?"

"To kill Jenna," I sputtered. Every last second speaking to Thomas was one last one Jenna had to live.

"That's not good," Thomas looked around for a moment before heading to my room. "We need to get changed, then leave. Who knows how much time we have before Soreana decides to end your friend's life," he said rapidly.

"No shit!" I eyed him. "Is there any chance we'll even be able to save her?"

"Knowing Soreana's love for torturing her victims," Thomas shrugged. "I think we stand a pretty good chance."

My stomach churned, "I'd rather not give her the time to figure it out. Oh man, this is my fault!" I raked my hands through my hair as Thomas wiped the blood off his body with one of my shirts, then pulled on a pair of pants. He shoved a new shirt into my hands right before throwing on himself.

"C'mon, we're wasting time!" Thomas left, and I begrudgingly followed his order.

Minutes later, Thomas and I scrambled into my car. "Let's go," Thomas slid beside me and sat quietly while I started the engine.

"You sure Jenna will still be alive when we get there?"

"Most likely," Thomas responded flatly. "Believe me, Brinley's head didn't just suddenly roll off her body. She messed with her for hours before she did it. You want me to go over the details?"

"I'd prefer not," I grumbled. My gut churned, becoming hot. The rest of me was cold with sweat.

"Besides, Victor is with her. And, if there's one thing we can count on, Soreana will make him go after your friend first."

"What?" I turned to gaze at Thomas as I barreled out of my neighborhood– car wheels screeching. "What exactly does she expect him to do to her?" As much as I wanted to trust that Victor would not hurt Jenna, I didn't know what he would do under pressure.

"Have his way with her. Drink his fill. Anything and everything a vampire could want. But he will have to leave Jenna's end to her. Soreana thrives on pain and suffering. She won't let your friend go easily." Thomas turned to look at me as I flew down the street. Jenna's house was thirty minutes away on a good day, and we had already wasted precious time. If I hadn't passed out in the bathroom and fallen in blood, we would have already been on the road. I cursed myself for my weak stomach. What if it got in the way again? What if I couldn't save her in time? What if Jenna was already dead?

"I wish knowing that would make me feel better, but..."

"It only makes you feel worse," Thomas finished my sentence. He rested a cold hand on my shoulder, "I know. But believe me when I say, we have time, Phillip. Jenna will be alright. Victor won't let Soreana kill her. He's more devious than you know."