Chapter 38: I'll Cook for You

I stared awkwardly at the steaming mug of coffee in front of me. The hardwood table shined, reflecting my face back at me. Even though I was trying to be as normal as possible, I was failing. Thomas sat silent and awkward across from me, taking sips of his own coffee. I couldn't tell if he was faking it. The paper cup caused me more anxiety than it should have. I shifted from staring at my coffee to staring out the window. The sun was setting– the Christmas lights across the street starting to turn on. I wasn't up to another night alone with Thomas, not when I could be at home with Victor by my side.

But it was Victor who convinced me to come here. It was Victor who'd shoved my hand around Thomas's shoulders without my consent. I bit my lip, trying to find a way around my growing hunger.

"This is my favorite coffee shop," Thomas spoke softly, interrupting my thoughts.

"Huh?" I looked back at him, forcing my gaze off the small dog walking with its owner down the street.

Thomas motioned with a pale hand to the surrounding room, the golden light doing wonders for his otherwise pasty skin. The light bulbs behind me flickered on– their glow reflecting in his dark blue eyes. If he hadn't been the one who'd killed my parents, he might've stood a chance.

Then again, it wasn't like he could help what he was. I knew from personal experience with Victor that feeding had to happen, but it was different...Victor had gotten past taking a person's life, but Thomas? I bit down hard until my lip bled. I stopped as soon as I realized what I had done.

Thomas grimaced, then smiled. "This place, it's my favorite. They roast in-house. Just across the way, there is this really great Thai restaurant." I frowned, knowing what Thomas was trying to insinuate.

"Mn," I uttered.

Thomas's brows pinched together, "I mean, if you're hungry. You said you spend Christmas Eve alone, so I thought maybe."

"I don't want to keep anyone out late tonight. It's almost five as it is." I fiddled with the brown paper coffee cup, wondering why I hadn't gotten something more substantial than black coffee. Even a latte would have soothed my burning gut better than this. "I should go home. You should too. You got family waiting for you?" I knew that he didn't, but I asked anyway.

I watched Thomas for many seconds as his expression changed from one of hopefulness to pained. "No, I...uh... I live alone. Do you want to come over? I'll cook for you. I just need to stop at a grocery along the way." I wanted to say no, but a zing went down my back. Victor, damn you! "Yeah, sure." I responded. I glared out the window at the cat's tail whipping around the corner.

"Great!" He said enthusiastically, "You want to follow me home or ride with me? I'll bring you back to your car later?"

"I'll follow you," I said before Victor could get any more bright ideas. "You really live alone?"

Thomas stood, pushing one hand into a pocket while the other held his coffee cup. "Yeah, I have since I was twenty-two."

"How old are you now?" I asked.

Thomas's eyes flickered, "Twenty-two."

"So, just this year?"

He faltered, "Uh, haha, yeah. Sorry, it just seems like a long time."

"Where are your parents?" I asked.

"Dead," he said flatly, "They've been dead for a long time. My best friend too. " He sighed, "I don't really have anyone." My mouth twisted, fighting the urge to feel sorry for him, "Everyone I know is dead and gone. I'm lonely." He turned to grab his jacket, "I guess that's why I want company tonight. Holidays are hard."