Chapter 44: Sire

"To the bathroom, now!" Victor yelled. I nodded, leading the way up the stairs while Victor carried Thomas's lifeless form. I watched as he gently settled Thomas into the tub.

"What's the plan?" I asked. I assumed it would be somewhat bloody based on Victor's chosen location. Never mind how many questions I had in my head, they had to wait until Thomas was taken care of.

Victor inhaled, "I am going to bleed him out." I watched as his eyes closed, stress crossing his face. "Every ounce of blood in his body must be drained. No amount of my own will help him otherwise." His hand came to rest on my shoulder as he looked down at Thomas's body. "I need a knife."

"Got it." I swiftly turned and ran down the stairs. How had my life gotten so complicated? What started out as simply wanting to know Victor got the prettiest women into bed, had now culminated into something far more sinister.

I sighed, grabbing a knife from the kitchen I headed back upstairs. Poor Thomas! I groaned. I'd played with his emotions; manipulated his feelings to go along with Victor's plan. And all I had figured out was that Thomas actually wasn't the bad guy! He was a victim of his sire's murderous intentions.

I stopped dead at the bathroom door. It was too quiet. The air clung to my lungs, thick like smoke. Something wasn't right. Why was the door closed? I went to push the door open when a female voice sounded from the other side. What the hell?! I spotted wells of black smoke coming from underneath the door. Another vampire? Shit!

"Victor, Victor, Victor..."

A dead pause.

Not even the sound of breathing could be heard through the door. I backed up.

"How good it is to see you again my love. Did you miss me?"

"Soreana," Victor's voice came out huskily. "Up until less than an hour ago, I thought you were dead."

A tongue clicked. "Oh, I was, Victor. But you were too foolish to scatter my ashes. Don't you know that us vampires will continue to rise unless completely separated from ourselves? Even Thomas here," she chided, "will eventually come back one day. Unless I choose to chop him limb from limb! Tell me, should I bury the pieces of him in different parts of the world? Even then, if he's brought back together, it wouldn't stop him from regenerating. A fruitless effort. Don't you think?" Her sing song tone rattled me to the core.

I took another step back, realizing just who was in that room. Victor's sire. Thomas's sire! How had she found us?

"I dare not think around you at all, Soreana," Victor said flatly.

"Good, then let's go." There was a snarl in her voice.

"And leave Thomas here to rot?"

"Oh, he won't rot, Victor." There was a moment of silence, then she began to speak again, "Oh, Victor, you've done all you can. But now it's time to officially give up. I've finally won, and you know it." Another pause followed by the scraping of nails on the marble countertop of the bathroom. "Victor," she drawled. "I'm hungry. What do you say we go out for a drink?"

I had a moment of panic as footsteps came near the door. Hide, Phillip! Victor screamed mentally at me.

Wasting no time, I bolted to my room and flung myself in my closet behind all the new clothes Jenna had bought me that I yet to wear. If I had, I might have had no hiding place. I silently thanked her.

I sat in the darkness of my sliding glass closet for what seemed like forever before a door opened. Two pairs of footsteps sounded. One heavy, as if wearing heels, and the other light as air.