Chapter 43: Poisoned

"Victor, what's wrong with him?" No matter how I tried, I couldn't keep the panic out of my voice. I looked up at Victor as he knelt by the two of us. I centered Thomas's head in my lap. "Has he not fed?"

Victor leaned down over him, inhaling the scent of Thomas's breath. He then ran a finger over Thomas's tear-stained face, bringing it his nose. "Thirst is not the problem," he said quietly.

I looked down at Thomas's face. He didn't seem to be feigning breathing anymore. I never wanted to hold a corpse again after seeing my parents, yet here I was, holding the one that killed them. And in much the same state too. "What is it then?" I asked.

"Poison," Victor whispered, his eyes meeting mine.

"He's been poisoned?" my voice cracked. "I don't understand. How?"

"Remember when I told you that a vampire's blood can be used to heal or poison another?"

"Yes," I said.

"Well, unfortunately, our friend here has somehow either partaken in the blood of another vampire who wished to harm him, or he got a hold of a body that was well past its expiration. Both of which are possibilities." Victor shook his head.

"What's the more likely one?" I asked.

Victor sighed, "Most likely, by the looks of him, he drank from someone who'd been poisoned by another vampire. But the question begs to be answered, why?" Victor looked around again, nervous. "In any case, Phillip, we can't stay here. We'll take him home. Let him rest."

"Will he recover from this?" I asked.

Victor worried his lip, "Not without a full drain and transfer. Ah, this is terrible business indeed."

"Let's think about the reality of this situation later," I said. "Help me get him up. He's too heavy."

Victor nodded. Bending down, he looked at me. "Before we go, Phillip. I'm afraid Thomas won't make it very long without fresh blood in his system. The poison," he looked down at the series of dark purple starting to writhe its way up Thomas's neck. "Is taking hold faster than expected. Are you willing to open a vein to give him some more time."

"Mhm," I nodded and held my arm out to Victor. He leaned down, looking pale and not at all like himself. He pressed his lips to my wrist in a tender gesture. He bit down, teeth sinking into my flesh, then pulled away. I watched as Victor gently moved my wrist over Thomas's mouth, opening it to let the blood flow down his throat.

I watched the circle clock on the wall; five minutes ticked by before I felt the sudden press of lips to my flesh and then the gentle graze of teeth. Thank god! Thomas was awake. I celebrated too soon as Thomas suddenly pulled away in a panic.

"Thomas," Victor said, reaching down towards him. Thomas shuddered as he looked at me, then to Victor beside me. His skin looked pale as death as he moved his lips to speak. No sound came. "Don't worry about speaking." Victor reached down to touch his hand. Thomas pulled away. "It's been a long time, Thomas."

Thomas began to shake. I watched as blood stained tears fell from his eyes. "Now, now,"' Victor said, taking a handkerchief from his jacket, "None of that. You'll waste the blood Phillip just gave you."

Thomas looked at me, "You two know each other?"

"Yes," Victor said calmly, "I've been living with Phillip for a few months now."

Thomas moaned, trying to sit up from where he had been lying on my lap. I wrapped my arms around him, "Don't move, okay?"

"No wonder you knew what I was. You've been living with him the whole time?" Thomas's voice cracked.