Chapter 49: Always the Optimist- Samantha

Hours turned into days, turned into weeks, turned into months, and still Victor didn't wake. No matter how much blood Thomas or I gave him, he wouldn't revive. After a while, we both gave up, settling for just checking in on him every now and then.

"You have to keep hoping that Victor will wake up Phillip," Samantha said softly over the phone. Her voice was like silk, calm and soothing among the storm I felt inside. Things had not been the same since the night I came face to face with Soreana.

"I don't know if I can, Samantha. It's been almost six months." I swallowed hard. "I don't know if I can hold out hope for much longer."

"You have to try. He will wake up Phillip, it's just a matter of time."

"Even then," I sighed, "Will he be the same Victor I know and love? Or will someone different be in his place."

I heard Samantha swallow. It was probably the cup of iced coffee she always kept near her side. I smiled to myself. Even when things seemed like they would never be the same again, some things never changed. Samantha was proof of that. "I don't think so." There was a smile in her voice. "I think that when he wakes up, even if it's tomorrow, a week from now, or even a year from now, he'll still be the same Victor. Maybe a little bruised around the edges, but I guarantee he'll be the same goofball you knew before all this crap happened."

"I can only hope," I choked. But the real hope was that things would go back to normal, and there was no way that would happen– even if he woke up.

"Besides," Samantha grumbled, "He saved Jenna, which proves he loves you. If he didn't, he would have let her die."

"Yeah," I tried not to think about what that had ultimately cost him.

"At least she's still alive. And you still have Thomas, so there's that." Samantha paused to take another swig of coffee. "Even though he's still a super creepo in my book," she audibly shuddered.

"Thomas is not that creepy," I corrected.

"Um..okay. Ew! Since when did Thomas grow out of major creeper status?"

"Since he tried to save all of us from Soreana," I said, a frown creeping over my face.

I could instinctually see Samantha flipping her hair in mock disgust. "And since he's been trying to help you revive Victor and living with you twenty-four-seven? C'mon Phillip, don't tell me you are developing feelings for him?!" The wine in Samantha's voice was cringle worthy.

"Not really," I said. "But Jenna keeps telling me to go for it. Which, if this situation weren't complicated enough. I think it just got more so. I really don't want to think about it."

Samantha huffed, "Jesus."

I shook my head, "It doesn't really matter. Nothing really matters anymore, you know?"

"Sounds like you need to get out of the house."

"Maybe," I said. Then, looking up at the stairs, I said a silent prayer for Victor to wake up. Maybe if he did, we could go somewhere. Do something.

"Or maybe you could use a new roommate?" Samantha's voice pulled me from my thoughts. I let out an 'oh.' "I know I would like company if I had to live alone in a house with two vampires, even if one is less than great company at the moment." She huffed, "Besides, my parents are pushing me to get out. Living with you sounds like the perfect thing."

"Samantha..." my voice left me in a whisper.

"It's settled. I'm moving in next week."

"Samantha..." my voice ground out a little deeper.

"I promise. Together you and I will figure out a way to wake Victor up. It'll be like study hall but with real stakes!"

I groaned.

"I know... sorry. Bad joke," she laughed.

The front door slammed shut, making me jump. "Sorry!" Jenna waved her hands back and forth, brown eyes gleaming in the dim light of the house. Thomas followed behind her, dark blue eyes glinting gold. It felt strange seeing their smiling faces. "Whose on the phone?" whispered Jenna.

"Samantha," I said flatly, shifting over to give her more room to sit next to me. "She wants to come live with me," I stumbled over my words. "I mean, us."

Jenna flipped her braids over her shoulder, "Sound like a great idea Phillip. Lord knows you could use some normal company."

"Or Thomas could just bring me over to the dark side," I joked.

"Not a chance!" Thomas smacked the back of my head as he walked past me. "Honestly, being a vampire sucks! I miss human food!"

"Sure you do," Jenna snorted.

"Besides, I don't want you to end up like me," he huffed.

"No, you'd rather let me grow old and die before Victor decides to rise from the dead," I retorted. Thomas pushed my shoulder playfully before standing up and heading toward the kitchen.

"Tell Samantha I think it's a good idea. You could use the company," Jenna said, smiling

"See!" Samantha whined over the phone.

"Fine," I nearly yelled. "Fine. You can come."

Samantha let out a scoff from the other end of the line.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing," she clicked her fake nails, then laughed. "Honestly, Phillip, I was just thinking. You got the short end of the stick, you know that. The love of your life is in a seemingly endless coma. You almost got torn apart by a rampaging vampire. I mean, man– your life sucks."

"Yeah," I sighed, leaning back against the couch. "Yeah, Samantha. You totally hit the nail in the coffin there." As if I didn't already know that my life was crap.

"But I promise you. With me by your side, your life will be so much better. You just wait and see."

"Alright, Samantha," I smiled because there was nothing else I could do. Samantha wouldn't take no for an answer. "I believe you. I'll see you soon. Just not too soon, okay?"

"Okay."

I clicked the phone off and turned toward Jenna, "What am I going to do with her?"

Jenna smirked, "There's nothing you can do. Samantha is part of our crew now. Just accept it, Phillip."

Oh how I really didn't want to.