Chapter 45: Jenna, You Need To Leave

Victor? Victor?! I called out to Victor mentally. The sliding door to my closet moved. Victor's face abruptly appeared. I swallowed hard, willing my pounding heart to ease as I looked up at him.

The two of us gazed at each other. There was an unspoken understanding between us that didn't need to be stated. The situation had turned dire. Not only was Victor at the mercy of his sire, but Jenna was in trouble. I closed my eyes, wondering why that today of all days she had to come back into town. How in the world was I going to save her? Please tell me you have a plan, Victor? I moaned inside my mind.

Phillip, he directed at me. You must stay here! Once we are gone you leave! Do you understand! I shook my head no. No, I didn't understand, because if I left and ran then Jenna would die! Victor grasped me hard around the shoulders, his nails digging into my skin. I'll find a way to keep Soreana away from Jenna. Listen to me Phillip! There is no other way. If you confront her...if you try to save your friend, then you'll both die! His eyes searched mine in desperation.

I shook my head. I can't just run away and do nothing! Jenna is my best friend. If she dies because of me!

She will die if you intervene! And so will you! Victor shook. Phillip, please! I can't lose you!

And I can't lose her! Tell me, what plan do you have to keep Soreana busy? Victor stared blankly at me. Do you even have a plan?

Victor shook his head, I'll figure out a way. But you must do as I say and leave!

Alright, I lied. I could tell that he knew it too.

He closed his eyes. I felt his fingers loosen their grip on me. I know I cannot force you to do as I say. Victor bowed his head, the lengths of his onyx hair hiding his unnatural eyes. Just, Phillip...

I moved his hair away from his face gently. He was as white as a sheet. Please do what you can to keep her busy. I'll...I'll figure out a way to save her...to save you both.

Victor looked up at me, heartbroken. I am afraid there is nothing that you can do.

I have to try. Victor...I have to...

"Victor?" Soreana's voice cut off the last of my thoughts. "Would you be a doll and come help me out of here. I'm afraid that I'll trip over Thomas's lifeless corpse." Her voice floated like the wind, a hint of twisted laughter in it. I winced at the proclamation. Victor frowned. Without saying another word, he stood and slid the closet door closed, leaving me in total darkness.

***

The front door slammed along with the sound of Soreana's haunting laughter. Not wanting to risk premature death, I'd waited until I could be sure the two of them had left for good.

According to Soreana, once she and Victor had killed my best friend, they would leave town and go to New York. "How I desire to walk through the artificially lit streets and bathe in the blood of innocent. Just think of it, Victor. You and I once again roaming the streets!"

Victor muttered something unintelligible.

"Don't worry Victor. I'll make sure the boy comes with us. I know how you desire to have a male to play with. As long as I get to enjoy him every now and then as well. What with Thomas finally being out of the way, we can finally be a happy family at last. Now, let's go kill that girl. After that, we can find your boy."

Just how much had Thomas interfered with Soreana's plans? It seemed that now that he was gone, she felt invincible. I gritted my teeth as I padded to the bathroom door.