Chapter 2 : "We're the Ducks"

Indiana felt her stomach drop as the plane began to descend into Minnesota. Indiana sat up, shaking her sister awake who looked back at her with tired eyes. Indiana sighed and sat back in her chair, staring up at the plane's ceiling as the plane dropped onto the runway below, slowing down as it reached the terminal. After a few moments of waiting, the two girls grabbed their carry-ons and ran to the luggage area. Indiana watched as luggage slowly drifted on the belt, awaiting her and her sister's hockey equipment and clothes. After what felt like forever, the two girls had finally grabbed their bags and headed towards the door.

    "Bombay!" Indiana pointed out, grabbing her bags and running over to her coach. The two exchanged pleasantries, Julie following slowly behind.

    "Julie, Indiana. Are you guys ready to start high school?" Bombay asked the siblings. Indiana nodded, excited to see her former teammates.

    "Yeah," Julie began to say out loud before whispering, "If I ever get to step onto the ice." Indiana chuckled at the girl's response. Julie, while always being respectful of coach Bombay, would never understand his coaching methods-- especially when it came to making decisions about the goalies. Julie was quicker, more flexible, and an overall better goaltender than Goldberg ever could wish to be. For whatever reason, sentimental or not, Bombay chose to continue going with Goldberg over her. Julie's only exposure in the Junior Goodwill Games occurred in the championship game of Team USA versus Iceland, where Julie stopped the one shot she faced, and Indiana scored in the shootout to win the game for Team USA.

    "Before it gets out, I should probably tell you both something," Bombay had finished loading their equipment into the car before getting into the front seat, signaling for his driver to start going. The girls had begun to buckle their seatbelts, watching their coach intensely as he turned his shoulders to face him. "I won't be your coach this year."

    Indiana furrowed her eyebrows, "what do you mean?"

    "I've been named Director of Player Personnel for the Junior Goodwill Games Committee. I have to fly out to California next week," explained Bombay.

    Indiana slowly nodded, "Have you told Charlie this?"

    Bombay nodded, "I told him this morning." Indiana sighed, knowing this would be just another issue she would have to deal with coming back. Charlie, as kind as he was, absolutely hated any form of change. Even when they were playing for Team USA, Charlie expressed his disappointment in not being able to wear the Ducks colors or old uniforms.

    "That's great for you, Coach. Sounds like the opportunity of a lifetime," expressed Julie.

    "It is," Bombay sighed. "I'm not leaving you guys completely; Coach Orion will be taking my place. He's a little different from me, but he's a great coach. I'm sure him and the Ducks will get along just fine."

    Indiana turned to Julie and sent her a soft smile. A new coach meant new beginnings for the two girls-- especially for Julie. Without any aspects of nostalgia or politics, Julie would be able to prove herself in a way she was unable to previously with Bombay as her coach.

    "I'm happy for you," expressed Indiana, who received a small smile back from her coach.

    "Right in here," Bombay instructed his driver, pulling past the gates which were labeled 'Eden Hall Academy.'

    Indiana leaned over to her sister, "looks pretty snobby." Julie simply laughed in response.

    "So, the dorms," stated Bombay "are over there. And this," Bombay pointed towards a large building as the driver continued to move along. "This is the auditorium where your scholarships are being announced." The driver pulled onto the side of the road, allowing for Indiana and Julie to step out of the car and take in the Eden Hall Campus. Bombay shooed them away, signaling that he would meet up with the two later.