Chapter 9 : Loyalties Lie

Their next day of school went by fast, eventually leading to lunch. Indiana sat by Julie, Connie, and Guy. Alongside Julie was Charlie, who engaged Dwayne in conversation. Indiana watched as Charlie laughed at something Dwayne said, not able to remove how rude he had been towards her and Adam from her mind. Julie nudged her sister, noticing the frown that had appeared on the girl's face alongside how quiet she had been. Indiana waved the girl off in an attempt to signal that nothing was wrong. Julie sighed and turned towards Connie and Guy who were deep in a conversation about their English class.

"Check out the new jackets, guys," Averman pointed out as the varsity team walked over to the junior varsity table. Indiana furrowed her eyebrows at the boy, not understanding what exactly he meant by new jackets.

"What does he mean by that?" Indiana asked Julie who just shrugged back at her.

"Hey, congrats on the Blake game," spoke Rick Riley as he leaned over Dwayne and Charlie's chairs. Indiana looked around to find Adam, who slowly approached the table, not wanting to cause any extra drama.

"Yeah, right. We tied," Charlie sighed, remembering the game. Indiana ignored the varsity boy, instead letting out a gentle smile as her boyfriend waved to her subtly.

"Hey, a point's a point. We're all Warriors now. You guys proved your guts. You all set for dinner?" Rick asked them. Indiana raised her eyebrows, looking around at her teammates exasperated or confused faces. Rick had never been nice to the junior varsity team before, so what had changed?

"Dinner?" Russ echoed in confusion.

"Well, it's an Eden Hall tradition. Varsity got to treat the freshmen to dinner. So, round up your posse and meet us at 6:00 at the Minnesota Club, downtown. Anybody needs a ride, we can take you," Rick explained. "I mean, you guys do like steak and seafood, right?"

"Yeah, we do," Charlie answered for the group.

"No we don't," Indiana mumbled under her breath.

"Look, I don't like you pukes, all right? But this is a tradition. At Eden Hall, I learned to care about tradition," stated Cole. The varsity team began to walk away as Cole continued to speak, eventually leaving only Adam.

"It's cool," stated Adam, smiling down at his former teammates and smiling back at Indiana before walking away.

" Oh. It's cool," mimicked Russ.

"Let's go. If Banks says it's cool. We might as well go," the group of former Ducks chorused. Before they could continue their meals, Rick walked back over to the junior varsity table.

"Indiana," he called over, causing her to look back towards him inquisitively. "You're with us today." Rick began to wave Indiana over to their group. Indiana turned to her friends, who stared up at her clearly confused.

"I'm practicing with varsity today, that's all," Indiana explained to her teammates.

"And they want you to sit with them?" Julie asked her sister who merely shrugged.

"It's just today, I'll be back tomorrow I swear," Indiana pleaded with her teammates.

"Just go," an angry voice from the head of the table spoke. Indiana looked up at Charlie who was already glaring back. Indiana shook her head at him, spinning around to follow Rick to the varsity table. Adam looked up at the girl, sliding over to make room for her. Indiana smiled as he smirked at her, patting the seat beside him. Indiana took her seat, feeling the heat cover her face as Adam wrapped his arm around her protectively.

"Indiana, right?" She looked up to make eye contact with who she believed to be the varsity team's goaltender. Indiana nodded in response, "I'm Scooter. It's nice to finally meet you. I've heard a lot about you from this idiot over here." Indiana laughed as Scooter pointed towards Adam, who raised his hands innocently.