Chapter 4 : See Me

The varsity team was on the ice first, looking sharp as ever. It was clear to Indiana as to why they had so many state championships-- they were good. Really good.

"Wow, this place is great," said Charlie, watching as the varsity team worked on a breakout drill. "This is a nice rink."

"It's huge," said another one of the ducks.

Goldberg smiled, "You know, I bet they even have a snack bar here."

Fulton scoffed, "Big deal."

"They look pretty good," mentioned Luis. He was right— they looked like a well created team led by a good coach.

"They sure won a lot of championships," Julie said, directing the team's views to the banners hanging above the ice. "They're huge."

"They're not so hot," said Charlie, shaking his head.

"Well..." Indiana dragged out the word, Adam shooting her a stern look. "Nope, not hot. Not hot at all."

"Come on, guys, we could skate out there," said Connie.

"I didn't see them representing their country," mentioned Indiana. Indiana watched as Cole, Rick, and Scooter gathered around the goal. Rick spoke to the two of them, their attention turning to the ducks. Indiana glared at the group, who instantly returned the look. After they maintained eye contact for a moment, Indiana slowly lifted her middle finger up to the boys, her head tilted with a smile plastered on her face. The boys turned their attention away from her, Scooter laughing and patting Rick on the back.

As their practice ended, the ducks slowly shuffled onto the ice, only to be met by Rick, Cole, Scooter, and the rest of the jocks "If it isn't Captain Ducky," taunted Rick.

"Get your hands off him," said Fulton, pushing himself forward.

Cole began to chuckle, "Ooh, look. A Bash Brother. I'm so scared."

It took only a moment for the varsity coach, Coach Wilson, to skate over to the large group, who were all arguing back and forth, staring each other down. "Break it up! Come on, men, let's go." The varsity team was escorted off of the ice by their coach, who glared at the junior varsity members.

The group began to skate to center ice, "How about it, cowboy round up?" Asked Charlie. Indiana sighed-- as much as she had enjoyed their practice games while at the junior goodwill games, Bombay wasn't their coach anymore, and this team certainly wasn't the Ducks. They hadn't met the new coach yet, but Indiana was almost certain that their old Duck's games wouldn't be very beneficial at the higher level.

"I don't think so, Charlie," voiced Indiana, Charlie turning to her and raising his eyebrow at her.

"Yeah, Charlie, shouldn't we wait for the new coach before we mess around?" Asked Connie.

Charlie rolled his eyes before looking around, a sarcastic smile playing on his lips, "This is how we practice. Duck hockey, girls. He'll have to get used to it sooner or later." Indiana sighed, knowing this was a mistake but participating anyway. Charlie was the captain, so whatever he says goes.

"Well, come on, Cowboy. Hit it!" Dwayne let out a proud Yee-haw before grabbing a rope and chasing after his teammates, twirling it in the air. He caught Adam first, who let out a soft grunt and moved out of center ice. Connie pushed Julie's back forward, the two increasing in speed as they tried to get away from Dwayne. Dwayne caught up to Charlie, who made a move at the last second to avoid being caught. Kenny Wu and Luis danced around Dwayne in an attempt to antagonize him, both skating away quickly. Averman hid himself within the goal, sliding from side to side as Dwayne approached closer. After a few minutes, Dwayne finally got Charlie as he fell to the ground, his eyes watching as a pair of skates drifted towards his head. Charlie looked up, sighing internally as he noticed his new coach standing above him. The whistle blew as their new coach came to a complete stop. Indiana took note of his stern features, as he didn't smile or even grimace, only keeping a straight face.