Chapter 5 : Midnight Memories

A/N: It's happening besties screams internally

"Should I knock or just walk in?" Indiana whispered loudly to Adam, who motioned for her to go through the door. The two were standing outside of Coach Orion's office, the door slammed shut. Only the silhouette of Orion sitting at his desk could be seen through the decorative fogged glass.

"Knock? I think?" Adam nodded, but Indiana didn't feel any more assured. Indiana grimaced, shaking her head before her knuckles made contact with the wooden door.

There was a moment of silence. "Come in," shouted the deep voice of Coach Orion. Indiana made eye contact with Adam once more, smiling in a thin line before turning the door handle and stepping into their coach's office.

Noticing who had knocked, Coach Orion stood up, motioning for her to sit at the seat across from him. Indiana did as she was told, watching as Orion sat back down. "So, I assume you have seen your position?"

Indiana nodded, "I did, yes. I wasn't too sure what to make of what was written."

Coach Orion nodded, "From my understanding, the varsity coach took a liking to you and Banks. The problem was that he only had one available spot. However, the varsity team can carry extra players."

Indiana nodded along, "So, where do I fit into this?"

Orion sighed, "The varsity team wants you to be a bubble player for them. If they don't need you, you'll practice and play games with us. If someone gets hurt, the varsity team will call you up. Think of it like-- eh, the AHL and the NHL."

"So, I'm in the AHL?" Indiana smiled with uncertainty on her expression.

In a shocking turn of events, the corner of Orion's lips tilted upwards in a small smile, "You're in the AHL." Indiana nodded, slowly understanding the purpose of a bubble player. It wasn't ideal-- she would much rather have a concrete team to belong to. However, she was happy that in some shape or form, she would be able to see Adam.

"I understand. Anything else I need to know?" Indiana asked.

Orion sighed, "You also have the option of practicing with the varsity team twice a week, if you're interested. You would have to attend both the practices of the junior varsity and the varsity if there is any overlap." Indiana nodded along-- that would be a lot of hockey. "You understand?"

Indiana looked up at him, nodding. "I understand."

"That will be all then," Orion dismissed Indiana, who stood from her chair and began to walk out. "Indiana?" The girl stopped in her tracks as she heard him call her name. Indiana tilted her head as she looked at him, confused on what else he needed to say. "This is a good opportunity for you. I suggest you make the best out of it."

Indiana smiled, "Thank you, Coach Orion. I will." Orion grimaced and turned back to the paperwork on his desk, allowing for Indiana to leave. As she left his office, Adam, who had taken a seat on a nearby bench, looked up at her curiously. Before she could say anything, Orion yelled for Adam through the door held wide open by Indiana.

"Banks!" Called Orion. Adam stood from the bench, rushing over to the door where Indiana stood. Adam stood closely behind her, looking over her head at his coach. Orion held out a piece of paper to Adam, Indiana stepping to the side to allow him by her, "Here's your new varsity schedule. Congratulations." Adam smiled and nodded at Orion, grabbing the paper from his hands. Noticing Orion had nothing else to say, the two left his office, Indiana fully shutting the door this time.

"So?" Asked Adam.

"So, apparently, I'm on both teams. Mainly JV, obviously, but if someone gets hurt, I get pulled up to varsity-- oh! Get this," Indiana said, finally able to illustrate her excitement.