Chapter 14 : Charlie's Return

Bombay had gone on a crusade with his former team, attempting to teach them to love the very game that they felt had recently betrayed them. After Han's death, the group became visibly sad, and it showed in their play. 

Bombay brought the group to a local park where they went rollerblading whilst playing street hockey, much like they did when they were playing at the Goodwill Games. For once since getting to Eden Hall, everything seemed stable. Even Adam was able to join the group despite earning some angry looks from Charlie. Indiana hadn't seen Charlie look this happy in a while. After the game, the group worked together to pick up Bombay and place him into the trash can which had been previously used as a hockey net.

Later that night, the junior varsity Warriors walked towards the school, awaiting the bus to pick them up.

"Indiana," Coach Orion nodded, checking off her name on his roster. Indiana walked to the back of the bus where she sat next to Julie.

"Ready for the game?" She asked her sister who nodded.

"Ever since we tied these guys, I've wanted to play them again," stated Julie. Indiana hummed in agreement. "Is that—" Julia began, causing Indiana to turn towards the bus door. After Luis and Fulton walked onto the bus, a familiar face soon followed

"Conway?" Coach Orion questioned, not expecting to see him.

"I want to be on the team, Coach," Charlie began. "I want to play two-way hockey. Can I come back?"

Orion smiled to himself, before nodding. "Take a seat. We're running late. Let's go. We got a game to catch."

Russ chuckled as Charlie walked down the center aisle as his teammates cheered and gave him high-fives. "It's about time, Conway."

"Welcome back, baby!" Goldberg yelled.

Charlie sat down next to Russ, who began to heckle him. "Oh, man, you should have seen your face. 'Oh, Coach, I want to play two-way hockey. Can I come back ?'" Russ pretended to roll tears down his eyes with his hands. Everyone began to laugh before Charlie hit Russ' arm.

Charlie looked back at Indiana, who hadn't said anything to the boy. The boy sighed, walking over to her, "Can we talk? Alone?"

Indiana shrugged but obliged, walking towards the back of the bus with Charlie. The two sat across from each other as Charlie sat back and sighed. "I think I owe you an apology." Indiana nodded, her memory of Charlie starting constant arguments and talking badly about her and Adam flooding her mind. "It's not an excuse but I've been having a lot of issues adjusting and I took it out on you."

"Okay," Indiana nodded for him to continue.

"I assume you were told about why I was so rude to you and Adam," Charlie stared down at his feet, not wanting to look at the girl.

Indiana shook her head, "No. What do you mean?"

"I might have had a crush on you since you helped me get through wearing the team USA jerseys and leaving the Ducks behind at the Goodwill Games." Indiana's eyes widened at the revelation, everything that had happened between them beginning to make sense. "I was upset that you were giving Adam your attention. And I guess that followed me here."

"I didn't know, Charlie." Indiana mumbled.

"It's not an excuse, I know. Honestly this is really awkward for me to even be saying since I have gotten over my feelings, but I thought you should know," Charlie continued.

"Thank you for telling me," Indiana began. "Can we be friends? Go back to the way we were?"

Charlie looked up at the girl, a grin playing on his lips. "I'd like that." Indiana and Charlie both stood up, embracing each other in a hug. The two laughed off the awkwardness before heading back to their respective seats.