xiii. otto

It was okay. Everything had calmed down, after almost an hour of driving fast enough to lose them, it was okay.

Paulo had gone to look if the place where we were was clean and I hear a scream coming from the house he got into.

I run into the place only to see him laying on the floor with a walker on top of him. As I kill it, I notice some blood at his side.

"I'm sorry." He mutters as he pushes his sleeve a little bit and I see a bite mark on his shoulder.

"No..." I feel my heart stopping as I see that. "It's okay... It's okay..."

"You're gonna be the last one standing. Promise me." He puts his hand on my check and I hold my brother close, one last time.

"I will," I assure as I nod and help him get up so that I could bring him to the rest of the group so that I could give him something to eat and drink.

"He's bitten!" James snaps as he notices my red eyes and its bloody shirt. "You can't bring him here!"

"We saved your asses. You own us." I snap at him while I lay Paulo against a tree but James gets close making me hold the gun to his head, pressing it into his forehead. "Back off," I tell him.

"He needs to be put down-" Anna starts saying and I load the gun pressing it even harder into James.

"Help him!" I scream at her noticing that he's bleeding out but she doesn't move. "Help him for Christ's sake!" I cry again. "Help him or I'll shoot him!"

"Put it down. We can't afford to lose anyone else." Priscilla says "Help him." She orders and the girl gets closer to Paulo and I hesitate before I put the gun down.

"Even if I wanted to, I couldn't help him," Anna tells me and I feel my body collapsing.

"Put him down." Priscilla orders and I look at her confuse.

"No!" I scream and try to get them away from him but Sierra and Jonathan grab me. "No! No! Please! We'll leave! Please! We helped you!" I cry and beg. "He's everything I have! Please don't do this! Please! We'll leave and you'll never see us again! Please!"

"I'm sorry Katherine," Jonathan says as I watch James crave a knife into Paulo's head.

A last tear falling from his eye, as I fall to the ground crying.

"No!" I grab my brother and feel my hands getting soaked in his blood. "Not again! Not again!"

This time he was gone, and I saw all of it. There's nothing left for me. Everyone's dead.

I couldn't move. I stayed there all night, holding my dead brother's body close to me. I could feel it getting colder and colder as the minutes flew by. Making me angrier.

The fact that everyone but Jonathan was sleeping after what they just did makes me sick.

"I'm sorry." Jonathan says but I keep silence. "But it was the right thing to d-"

I don't let him finish his sentence as I grab a knife and stuck it into his stomach.

I grab all the food they have while they're still asleep and place Jonathan's body in a place where he could make them all it's dinner when he comes back.

I kiss my brother goodbye and get into their truck and drive away, slowly enough to hear their screams when they get eaten.

I am on my own. This time for good.

__

It had been around a week since it all happened, maybe more, and as I drove with no direction, I had gone into the frontier with America.