xxiv. killing

"We found their staging area." Nick tells Madison, Daniel, Two people I didn't know who was, and Victor.

"Yeah, they have weapons. Boats, like, uh- uh, barcos?" Troy starts saying and I felt the conversation going to places I didn't want it to be.

"Shut up." I push his chest. "They also have two-man less. But they're probably a lot more than us."

"Los Proctors were in business with narcos before the infection." The man I didn't know who was, says. "They have no regard for human life."

"Oh, please. Human life?! God." I mutter not believing he had just said that.

"They'll turn the water off. Starve the people and demand tribute. No lo podemos permitir." The girl I didn't know who was, says and I roll my eyes.

"I wish we had the weapons you promised." Salazar stats.

"We may not need them if we can withstand a siage." Victor suggests but everyone ignores him.

"There are three entryways. The gate. The lower gate. The bridge. We can post guards and weapons there." Salazar suggests and I nod.

"What if they attack from the water?"

"Why don't we just pick them off the bridge?" Troy says and everyone ignores him just like Victor.

"Daniel there's C-4 in storage leftover from when the dam was built. We should wire it to blow." The man starts saying and I look at Nick.

"Are you out of your mind?!" I argue.

"There's a drought already, man. It's only getting worse." Nick says.

"Release the river to the people. It's better to take out chances with Mother Nature than to die of thirst under the Proctors." He keeps going.

"Forget, don't answer that," I say about what I had asked. "Take our chances with the Mother Nature. Where did that take ya hun?! The dead walk among us for Christ Sake!"

"We can't jeopardize the water."

"No, that's a good idea, Efrain. We defend. But if they breach, we have a final bargaining chip." Salazar states. "Anyone who wants to leave should, now. Anyone who stays defends."

"You should go with Nick and Katherine," Victor tells Madison and I lay my head on Nick's shoulder.

"To the trading post? No, thanks. After all, Lola and Daniel have done it wouldn't be right. Show me how to set the C-4." Maddie denies.

"No. I can- I can do it." Troy steps forward.

"You have a lot to say for a college student." Daniel snaps at him.

"I'm not a college student."

"Are you military?"

"Yeah, in a way, I am."

"What way? What branch?" Daniel keeps pushing.

"Daniel we need all hands on deck." Madison tries to stand up for Troy.

"Mr. You hablo un poco de Español wants to get his hands on explosives."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. I'm a good guy here, all right? I'm- I'm with Nick and Kat, we brought you intel, hermano-"

oh fuck this

"-all right, just remember that." Troy keeps talking and I just know this isn't going to end well.

"Daniel, he can help us. I vouch for him." Madison says and leaves.

***

"Hi.." I say quietly as I enter the boiler room where everyone was sleeping and see Walker and Crazy Dog.