Chapter 1

The sound of ferocious wind carried dead leaves and made the surrounding trees bow down to it's will. The black sky was peppered with white sugar as it fell to the ground or was picked up once again by the wind, swirling in fast shapes before forming into new ones in an instant. Frogs croaked and owls screeched at the sudden outburst of weather sounding in their once peaceful clearing. No cookie could hear or see more than 10 feet in front, but that fact did not stop one cookie from trekking through the thick powdered sugar blizzard.

The footsteps of the cookie crunched soundlessly as they pressed on, their arm extended with a dimly illuminated lantern whose flame weakly combatted the impending extinguishing. Collapsing a bit, they gasped as they attempted to lift themselves back up.

"Help! Please..!" they weakly called out, reaching for a branch on a nearby tree.

The only response they got was the howling of the wind taunting her isolation.

Their hood flipped off from their head, letting loose their flowing hair. They stumbled back up and lifted their eyes to see a glimpse of light up ahead.

"Is anyone there? Help me, please!" they cried out.

The ground began to shake underneath their feet at a steady rhythm.

Da dum, da dum, da dum...

Before they could fully regain their footing, they kneeled on the snow as they felt their limbs begin to fail.

DA DUM, DA DUM, DA DUM...

They realized that the shaking was hooves barreling towards them. Exhausted, they let out a long sigh and dropped their lantern on the ground as their arms went numb.

The light grew brighter and brighter in their eyes, but their vision was beginning to blur out all the shapes around them. They became disoriented as they peered through the slants of their eyes. A large figure dressed in deep purple skidded to a stop on a large animal, dismounting it and carefully approaching the dying cookie with a shining light seeming to emit from their palm.

"H.... elp..." they faintly said, falling to their side and shivering violently.

"...elp... sick...?" the figure kneeled down and scooped up the cookie.

They shivered before closing their eyes completely, feeling a warm, comforting presence come over their senses.

"Home... not far... awake..." the voice said, growing quieter and more distorted.

A soft weight suddenly surrounded their numb body before they felt like they were moving. The cookie's body tried to fight off the embrace of sleep, but the need for slumber was too strong and pulled them under.

———

"I'm telling you, one day the prince is going to get in serious trouble."

"Yes! The guards told us they tried to stop him but he had already gone out to the little light! His father ought to straighten him up a little more. A good ol' spanking is what I used to do for my children."

"Dear, he's too old for that! You know he'd just run away if he had the chance."

"I suppose you're right. Oh, but how I wish he were more careful."

A warm cloth was gently patted on the cookie's forehead, startling them awake. Their eyes slowly adjusted to see two elderly cookies looking down at her.