Chapter 36

Just a reminder that I can see the names of what folder you save my story in, and the names you guys sort my fan fiction in are HILARIOUS

Anyways, enjoy the new chapter!

"I'll have your head mounted on a rotted stake once I'm done with this."

"That'd be a nice way to go out."

Tiramisu's devilishly curled lips made the Entrusted grimace even more. If looks could kill, they would be crumbs by now.

"And how, in the first place, did you know that I had this mission?" the Entrusted inquired, cocking his eyebrow.

"What, you thought it would be hard for me?" they scoffed patronizingly.

"I have trained the king's soldiers to be top notch guards and watchmen, you must be experienced at slipping past such watchful eyes," he mumbled the last part, not wanting to make them feel good about outsmarting him.

"Your 'top notch' soldiers are, quite frankly, just a stinky club of drunkards, my liege. But yes," Tiramisu kicked back his away from the rim of the smooth stone kiuas in the sauna, "I am what you would call an experienced individual for these types of things. Thank you for noticing. Might I also say you're the first one to notice."

The Entrusted scowled as the intruder winked at him playfully.

"If I killed you here and now, Tiramisu, who would come looking for you?"

"You'd be surprised, my liege."

"Stop calling me your liege."

"Not happening, my liege."

Now they were really pushing him past his patience. The Entrusted forcefully sat up and leaned towards Tiramisu, getting in their face. Intimidation would have to work its magic on the impish cookie.

"You think being all blithe and indifferent to this will make you seem higher than me? Like you're the one taking the leash to drag me along like some lap dog who's catching the scent trail for you? You had zero business in this kingdom in the first place. As soon as I'm done with capturing that criminal and bring her to justice's sword, you're going to f_cking leave this place and never speak a word of what you learned here."

Instead of freezing up from the sudden confrontation, Tiramisu only leaned closer, their dough almost touching. Their eyes teasingly narrowed and glared back with the same confidence.

"You're all bark and no bite, my lap dog," they giggled. "I didn't come here just to be lead by some cookie and watch her die. We're at opposing opinions on what should be done to (Y/N) at the end of all this.

"I'll tell you what. We do what we agreed to do, letting me go with you and finding (Y/N) out in who knows where, but the good news is that (Y/N) will never ever return to the kingdom again. I'm taking her with me back to where she belongs."

"And where would that be?"

"My, you're very curious about everything, my liege."

"Just reading the full contract before I sign."

"An admirable trait, though I cannot disclose that information to you. You'd spoil the surprise at the end," Tiramisu held out their hand expectantly for the Entrusted, still beaming gleefully.

The soldier stared hard. His face was crinkling, showing the putrid hatred he was feeling for this cookie. His strings were being pulled so easily by them, twirling him into endless spirals and stupid dances. He reached desperately for some scissors to slice them away.

The Entrusted's hand slapped away Tiramisu, making the cookie finally jolt from surprise.

"Stop playing around. Tell me why you're here, Tiramisu. You're clearly a cookie of much skill and importance from somewhere I'm not aware of," his voice shook as he tried to force back a desperate tone.

Tiramisu blinked slowly, as if to ponder over the words that had just spilled out of his mouth like random Scrabble letters, placing together the pieces to formulate words. It took a few moments before he finally got the full paragraph.

"I'm sorry. I suppose I'm having a little bit too much fun with this, I have to offer something in return despite how lenient I am already being," Tiramisu leaned back, resting their bare shoulders against the stone wall perspired with steam. "To start off, what a pity that you haven't already gotten a clue to where I'm from just by my name. I'll give you a moment to calculate; take as long as you need."

And so he did.

To be brief about it, the Entrusted wanted to laugh at his own stupidity. Maybe even cry about it. Or scream. Give or take any of those three and he would've done it. But the cookie watching him extinguished those urges.

Tiramisu, however, still saw through him, and once again plastered a mocking grin.

"And just to keep you on your toes, my role in the Espresso Kingdom won't be given until the original due date."

At this point, the Entrusted could connect the dots from there. He nodded back. "That won't be necessary."

Tiramisu frowned for the first time, but it surprisingly didn't make the Entrusted jump for joy at his success of wiping their face clean. The soldier held out his hand to them now with an expectant look. "This will be the only time I'm giving you a chance to shake my hand. Do it before I change my mind."

The cookie took it without hesitation. "I am flattered, my liege."

And so they began.

Word count: 884