Chapter 38

The kingdom was of no disturbance, minus the missing royals who were long gone from the time being. The weather, as per usual, swirled with a sugary powder that kicked up against the walls and swam past different obstacles with grace that only nature could achieve. Around the perimeters of the kingdom was the veiled glow of villagers in the citadel continuing life as usual, though the bustle could not be heard from where a cookie had just emerged from two doors onto an open bridge that scaled the top of the castle.

Sopapilla cookie scaled the stairs of the kingdom's west wing, her composure hunched as if she was in pain. Clutching at her hair, she stifled a scream from erupting, nothing but a strangled yelp escaping her lips that was nothing but a whisper. The wind of the cold blew away the noise with a swift roar.

She stumbled along the staircase with heavy steps as if something was moving her against her will. Every stomp moving closer and closer to a hidden portion of the castle encompassed with walls, a rooftop training ground meant strictly for the royals only. The soldiers who were supposed to guard it had duties elsewhere, now that there were no crowned warriors to compete on the battlefield.

Rapidly her head flung back with her eyes boring into the sky. The wind swirled violently around her, but out of some odd circumstance, the breeze slowed, circling above the top of the field as if a tornado was brewing above her head. Her dress tamed beneath her, ceasing the flapping as a form appeared above the clouds.

A massive shadow, with four limbs and two snakelike necks fanned a wingspan of what seemed to be a thousand cake hounds wide, black and white crumbs showering down like stone pellets on the expanse of the training grounds.

The wide claws planted on the ground first, then the front pair followed suit, and the creature dug its heels into the stone field for stability. Sopapilla's stark gaze adjusted, a black and white neck leading up to a pair of snarled muzzles, marbled teeth poking between wrinkled lips that protruded bottom fangs that curved upwards like an orc. Thin tongues from both the heads slid over the jaws of the beast, the glowing white and the void black eyes peering down at the minuscule cookie with a commanding expression. Their beady gaze shifted, inspecting Sopapilla maliciously before a low rumble emerged from the creature that traveled through the wind with the smooth slice of a knife.

Sopapilla felt her body uncontrollably tremble from the sight.

No, her body wanted so badly to tremble, but there was something keeping her solidified in her spot, commanding control of every inch of her body.

The bicolored beast dropped its two head lower towards the cookie, the breath of the creature gently pushing Sopapilla's stray hair out of her face. She could do nothing but listen to its deep voice when it began.

Are you aware that you are scaling thin ice with my patience? it said.

The words voiced themselves through her mind like a sullen lullaby. "My deepest apologies, I beg of you to understand that I had no clue that she would have survived this long," her voice weak in comparison to the dragon.

Excuses, excuses. That's all I hear from your mouth every time I come to check in on you. I could easily do this all myself if I wanted to.

"But I'm the only cookie willing to give you eyewitness accounts of what's being planned in the castle, your highness," she said.

A low growl rumbled deep in its throats. Sopapilla couldn't tell if it was out of amusement or displeasure for her retort. Then perhaps all I need to do is force a cookie to abide to what I command. Seems as though you're becoming like the others with your insolence to your duty, Sopapilla. It wouldn't be much of a difference if I just killed you here.

"Please... I promise you that I'll give you better information from now on! I- I've got something to share with you right now!" she pleaded, "It's about another cookie, your highness!"

The dragon's interest slightly peaked, its brows raising. Tell me.

"Marble cookie has sent off the Entrusted to fulfill a mission, he's sending him out to the woods to find the location of the garden-"

AND WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU TELL THEM THE GARDEN EXISTS?!

Sopapilla wished more than anything to run after the deafening outburst. However, running or covering her ears wouldn't change it since it came from inside her conscience link. "I beg of you to listen! I can explain! I would have never broken out of that prison without giving up this information!"

The dragon's eyes burned into Sopapilla so much that she thought her dough would burn to dust. Do you even begin to comprehend what you have just done? My only saving grace to this entire kingdom and you've spoiled it so quickly? Sopapilla, it has not even been a century with how I left this place!

Sopapilla felt an impulse that emerged from her mouth before she could stop it. "Would you like my services anymore or shall I stop? I will remind you once more that you're only going to get the full truth with minimal effort out of me and me only, your highness!"

Her gut fell all the way to her feet when she awaited the lingering response of the beast in front of her. Death was inevitable at that point.

However, the dragon fumed some light smoke out of its nostrils to calm down, then lifted its heads a little higher. Continue.

She tried to smooth out her voice from the wrinkles of wavering. "The Entrusted has been sent out to find the garden, might I add that he has no clear instructions where this garden is, to retrieve (Y/N) for the death penalty. He will be leaving tonight."

For a few beats of silence, the dragon pondered over her words. If she could move her limbs right now, both of her hands would be crossing their fingers.

Just (Y/N)?

"Just (Y/N)."

The creature lifted its heads back up slowly and reared on its hind legs, beating its wings in the air once more and churning up a flurry of crumbs and sugar snow from the ground. It lifted from the field, not before adding on with one last warning: This will be the last time I place my trust in you, Sopapilla.

"Thank you... for the chance," she fearfully responded in a whisper, but the dragon was long gone in the clouds, too far to hear her.

Even when her limbs went slack after she retrieved control, she continued to stand there, looking at where the dragon had left her with such heavy words.

"Please let me go."

Word count: 1162

Guess who just got introduced.. the Oreo Dragon of course! I took some artistic liberties in how the Oreo Dragon looks, but I still left some wiggle room for you all to tweak the appearance in your mind as you'd like.

Also, thank you all so much for reading so far, I can't express how happy it makes me that there's so many people reading and enjoying my first full sized story! <33