Chapter 5

"I have a little surprise for you, (Y/N). Can you guess what it is?"

(Y/N)'s eyes wearily cracked open to the sound of a gentle voice stirring from the dimly lit bedroom. Her whole body felt restless, ready to get up and going for the first time in a long while. She saw Sopapilla cookie bend down to where her head rested with a kind expression splayed on her face.

"What..?" (Y/N) groaned, trying to express her interest that was lacking from her grogginess.

"I know how cramped you have been in your room all this time. I think it would be nice for you to see around this place a bit," she gently nudged (Y/N) to sit up, in which (Y/N) weakly did so.

"Really? But what about Milk Bread cookie?" (Y/N) found that the other elder was nowhere to be seen at the moment.

"She's currently grabbing everything she needs to work on while you and I explore. Milk Bread heartily agreed to do the chores." Sopapilla took (Y/N)'s hand to lift her out of bed. Her legs shook and creaked when she tried to take a step, but she ignored the protests of her body.

"Watch your step, dear. I don't want you to get hurt."

"I've got it, I've got it."

With no more questions, the two cookies made their way out of the room to the hallway outside.

Dark passages, seeming to twist and turn at every corner, were illuminated by mauve flames to create reflections of purple streaks on the pure cacao architecture. Woven banners of kings and fairy tales were surrounded by intricate embossments of swirls and indents that carved ancient languages no cookies could translate. Compared to her room, the palace felt intimidating and resilient, which reflected the stories that the Espresso kingdom shared of the citizens that sheltered in the Cacao kingdom.

"These very corridors were constructed with the toughened hands of our ancestors, only the most intelligent of our cookies can only theorize how old these pure cacao walls are," Sopapilla cookie's eyes sparkled seeing (Y/N)'s jaw drop at the scenery.

"I can't imagine how long it must have taken them to carve out of the solid blocks of cacao, it takes more strength than a million cake hounds to put a scratch in this material." (Y/N)'s hand grazed the smooth surface as they continued down.

Sopapilla chuckled. "But this is not all of what we are capable of. Wait until you see our greatest accomplishment of them all." (Y/N) looked over to her with interest.

Soon enough they had made it to a large room, with dazzling sugar candy chandeliers that sat like halos above their heads. Three grand French doors, with a 5 pointed crown embellished above their frames, allowed the streaks of pale sunlight into the space. Sopapilla grasped her hand and lead her to the balcony that the doors opened to.

What a marvelous sight it was. The balcony, looking over the entirety of the Cacao kingdom, displayed the busy villagers working along the paved roads, with carts of crafted goods and knick-knacks bumping along. Houses, shops, churches, big or small lined the streets in uniform columns. Trails of smoke clouded the air, but not before their forms were blown in the frigid wind. Encompassing the city, however, was the grandest, tallest pure cacao wall that (Y/N) had ever seen. Spires and watchtowers lined it's excellence with well-armored soldiers overlooking both the inside and outside of the kingdom. (Y/N)'s jaw dropped seeing how divine the kingdom really was.

"It's beautiful. All of it," (Y/N) breathlessly said.

The maid hugged the side of her and rubbed her arm proudly. "It's my home that I have vowed to protect with my life."

The smell of water, no, an ocean drowned (Y/N)'s senses before she looked beyond the city, beyond the smoke, and beyond the walls. A grand sea as dark as the buildings roared against the frigid blasts of wind.