Chapter 15

I'd just like to say how much y'all have surprised me seeing the love coming for this book. I have NEVER released such a popular fanfiction before. I'm honored to be writing this for you guys, thank you for 12k reads. <3

The two runaways had settled in for the day, nothing much had happened since they were waiting it out in a small, damp cave for the past two days. Most of Dark Cacao's wound had somewhat scarred over but was otherwise fully protected and tended to under the care of (Y/N). Sometimes he thought about how ironic it was that the sick girl was taking care of the burly protector. Kind of like that one fairy tale Milk Bread cookie would say to him at his bedside, of how Belle tended to the Beast's wounds, though he didn't really feel like the Beast in the sense that he was unsightly. Well, at least he hoped she didn't think he was horrific.

I'm the time being, (Y/N) busied herself by using the knife he had given her to carve wood. Some of the trees outside had left thicker sticks on the ground from the winds that were slowly picking up in speed, so she grabbed one of the arms before turning back inside.

Her face was clearly focusing on the wood, the knife clumsily scraping away the thick layer of bark to reveal a satisfyingly smooth interior. He scooted closer seeing her hands fumble at removing the rest of the skin.

"I used to love etching symbols in the trees out here when I was little," he said.

(Y/N) looked up at him with interest. "You were allowed outside of the kingdom?"

"We'll, yes, everybody was. Our kingdom wasn't as frozen and bleak as it used to be when I was first born," a small smile grew on his lips. "You could see the wind's waves flow in the tall grass, and the sky was the color of the cornflowers in the fields."

(Y/N) noticed a glimmer of love in his eyes. But slowly, his positive attitude faded. "But then we were cursed, Oreo Dragon cookie appeared in our lands."

The prince's words faded into a whisper. (Y/N) tilted her head, confused of who the mysterious cookie did.

"He promised my father that we would become the most prosperous and feared kingdom in all of Earthbread, if only we worship him and him only."

(Y/N) couldn't help but chuckle at how ridiculous it was. A random cookie from nowhere asks for your mindless loyalty? They must have been insane thinking any cookie would agree to that.

"My father laughed at him too... but my brother-" he choked on the word, the bittersweet word, the one word he thought he would never be able to mention again. Brother. It stung his mouth just to formulate the sound of it.

"Dark Cacao..." (Y/N) shifted, dropping the things in her hands to the side and placing her hand on his shoulder.

"My older brother tried to trust him. He thought that Oreo Dragon cookie was truly a cookie of his word, only whenever he accidentally showed that he could not bring the cookie to his hunger for power..." he bit his lip, catching his breath as he tried to hold back tears. "Oreo Dragon stabbed him in the back. Not figuratively..."

"Dark Cacao, I'm so sorry..." (Y/N) tried to calm him, the first tears streaming down his dark dough. Hesitantly, she repositioned herself next to him, pressing up against him on his side.

"My father has never trusted anybody since," he whispered. "And I don't know how long it will take for him to heal."

(Y/N) slowly rubbed his back, he instinctively leaned closer to her as he opened up. They sat there for a while, allowing the sound of the roaring winds outside carry away Dark Cacao's sorrows.

Once he had collected himself, (Y/N) spoke up. "Where did Oreo Dragon cookie go?"

"He's gone. He didn't have an army, nor the power to face our forces. So he left with his tail tucked between his legs whenever my father tried to hunt him down."

"As expected... he shouldn't have thought to mess with your kingdom in the first place," (Y/N) lightly joked.

He softly giggled. But as he did, he finally looked over at her. His eyes grew wide as he realized how close she actually was to him this whole time. Her body touching with his, her hand running up and down his back, her eyes looking up at him inches away, he swiftly looked away before she could see the blush that was growing on his face.

(Y/N) felt Dark Cacao microscopically move away awkwardly from her. Thinking that he was feeling uneasy, she moved away from him. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be like that-"

"No, no it's fine," he stuttered, still looking outside of the cave away from her. "I really needed that. Thank you."

With his reassurance, she relaxed again, knowing how long it might have been for him to receive affection from anybody like this. She didn't want to seem like she was pressuring her comfort, she just wanted to make sure that he knew she cared. But it grew increasingly more difficult for her not to imagine that moment as something special between them.

As she silently pondered over the idea, she felt a flutter in her chest. Not the type that you feel for a second and then fades away, more like the one that feels like you've kickstarted into a new ecstasy. (Y/N) savored the feeling for a few moments before catching herself, and she shook her head.

He would never look at me that way.

Bottling up those feelings, she shut them away somewhere hard to reach in her heart. She couldn't allow this to interrupt the platonic bond between them, and she knew it.

But it felt like those feelings were fighting back, like a rumble.

Wait.

"Do you feel that?" (Y/N) asked, the ground trembling beneath them.

The prince looked back over, his eyes fearful.

"We need to leave now."

Word count: 1039