Chapter 29

YA'LL I ASKED OUT A GUY TO HOCO WISH ME LUCK THAT WE FALL IN LOVE SO I CAN RETIRE <3

"I want none of this to be leaked to ANYBODY in the kingdom. Not even the king may know of this monumental discovery," Marble cookie panickedly began storming out of his office, his dough fuming hot with anger.

"'Discovery's isn't the right word for the place-"

"NO!" He cut her off with a whisper-shout, "You are in no way involved with the garden, you have never heard of the garden, and you sure as hell have never touched or used any spells from my spell book."

Sopapilla cookie bit her lip from the sudden outburst. He's still drunk, she thought, he'll calm down once the alcohol is out of his system.

They rushed their way in the maze like architecture, zooming through hallways that they swore they had passed through a moment before, hung tapestries swaying with the current of wind they disturbed, and soldiers attempting to shrink out of the attention of the furious royal advisor.

"Not even the king himself may know of this place. I'll send a trustworthy soldier to retrieve them both instead," the finally ended up in one of the soldier's quarters, the cookies quickly shuffling out of the way with the advisor's startling entrance in their personal vicinity. They knew something was amiss seeing the rare fury fuming from his dough.

Suddenly Marble cookie pulled a random soldier aside, holding him by his rich cacao colored shirt with great force. The cookie looked down at the short advisor with pure fear in his eyes.

"I want you to retrieve the Entrusted at this moment and tell him to go to my scroll room. You will not ask of why I am demanding this," his grip released as he whipped to face the cowering soldiers who looked on with careful curiosity, "AND YOU ALL DID NOT HEAR ANY OF THIS COMMAND!"

The cookies blinked at each other, trying to communicate with their eyes to question the urgency, but settled and began to mind their own business resuming their regular duties they were interrupted from. Sopapilla cookie blankly stared at the advisor when he turned around to her.

"Do you think this is a bit much? I'm sure there's a much less drastic way to handle this all."

He swooped past her. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

———

A soldier settled down in one of the public baths, trying his best to drown out the noise and chaos from the village. Despite his important role in the kingdom, he really couldn't muster up two damns for the royals. All he saw them as were pathetic, spoiled, wealthy monarchs who had nothing better to do than wipe their tears with their money. But he had worked so hard for his position, it would take an army for him to ever let go the role he held in society at this point. Hell, even the prince looked up to him.

He had tried his best over the years to reciprocate the same brotherly connection that Dark Cacao had towards him, but he always seemed to fall short of his expectations. Despite him clearly showing that he didn't see him as a brother, Dark Cacao still clung to him. Though sometimes he swore the advisor knew his true feelings. It kind of made him feel bad: the prince had lost his brother at a young age, yatta yatta... it was all a boo-hoo sob story to him though. Why did he have to feel bad for not being able to realistically and actually show a brotherly role towards him? He sure as hell didn't ask to be out in that situation whenever he climbed the ranks, but here he was. At least he could thank him for the position just because of Dark Cacao's full attention on him.

"I fully trust you," Dark Cacao had told him one day. "I don't think any other one of my father's soldiers lived up to be as incredible as my brother."

The soldier felt a pit grow in his stomach like a void of guilt, swallowing him internally. His brain forced the feeling away. "I'm honored to be seen as such, your highness."

The prince always seemed to have a bitter taste in his mouth whenever he called him that: your highness. He could only guess that Dark Cacao wanted him to call him "brother".

Well, he could keep wanting that for as long as he lives.

"I know and see how hard you've been working during training, and the amount of prey you catch on your hunting missions. I've talked with my father about this and he agrees..." I'll never forget the way his eyes lit up with so much excitement. I felt so disgusting for stealing his admiration. "...how would you like to be the Entrusted?"

The angel on my right shoulder told me to not take it, tell him that he's making a mistake, I only worked this hard to make my father proud of me, that I don't deserve such a respectable position. But the devil on my left coaxed me to do the opposite. Steal it; you've made it so far, why quit now? He'll never know, just keep up the act. Exceed your father's expectations and out his puny woodworking business to shame.

The devil spoke louder than the angel did.

And everything fell into place from that moment on. I had the highest position in the royal army, I had the prince's highest favor, and most importantly, my father was proud of me. I could rub my success in his face if I wanted to with no consequences. I finally made it.

Everybody respects me now, even my worst enemies couldn't do anything but obey my orders whenever I felt like making them pay their sinful debts of betraying me in the past. It tasted better than anything I've ever had before. But not nearly as good as the rainbow jellies that were being served to me on a silver platter while I relaxed in the steaming bath.

I took my time to wade in the steaming water that evaporated my worries. The water held so much weight for me, I wouldn't be able to live without it.

I reached for another rainbow jelly, bringing it closer to my lips. Then the door slammed open and I let go of it in a panic.

"Your presence is commanded at the advisor's scroll room at once. You are not to speak of this command to anybody."

My inferior cookie gave me a terrified gaze, almost subliminally begging me to do something. My brows furrowed as I got out of the bath.

"I will be there as soon as I can."

Word count: 1121