Chapter 2

(Y/N) grumbled as she flipped to her side, hearing the door creak open to her room. It was too damn early to get up now.

"Dear? We're here with your breakfast. We thought you were hungry for some solid food after we shoved soups down your throat for the past couple of days when you were unconscious."

"Is your throat feeling better? Can you speak now?" One of the elders cupped (Y/N)'s face lovingly.

"...tiny ...bit." Her voice broke every word she said.

"Goody! Maybe you'll be able to tell us what the pain is like soon. But for now, let's see if you can down some jellies. Open wide, dear."

(Y/N) opened her mouth to get a spoonful of jellies, which melted in her mouth in a satisfying way. A faint smile formed on her lips. "...food ...good," she whispered.

"I'm thankful that you love it, dear, we grow our own magnificent bear jellies in our culinary gardens. Can you swallow it?" The elders leaned forward in expectation.

(Y/N) gulped, painfully sending the jelly to her stomach. She looked back up at them and gave a weak smile in her success.

"I'm so happy that you can eat! Now, can you hold this spoon?" The elderly cookie patted the silverware into her hand and waited.

(Y/N) tightened her grip and lifted it with ease, and she looked at her hand completely surprised.

"Marvelous! Absolutely marvelous! You're recovering faster than I thought you would!" One of the elders cheered.

"...leave ...soon?" (Y/N) whispered.

"I'm very sorry dear. There's still a long ways for you to go from here. As far as we can tell, you will only have some minor injuries that will fade over time."

(Y/N) heaved a long sigh of relief hearing the good news. No more being bed ridden!

"Indeed, but for now all you need to do is get more sleep. How about you try to finish your jellies before they get cold? I know how much you liked them," the other elder cookie said, pushing the plate closer to her.

(Y/N) stared at the spoon in her hand for a moment before digging in.

———

"I can't believe you went out again, I'm sick of your disobedience!" a dark cookie with a large beard and similar features to the prince shouted.

"I wasn't about to let her die, did you see her condition? She was sick for three days and still can't even speak!" Dark Cacao countered.

"You've become unruly, we can't be saving everybody who stumbles along and begs for our help," the older cookie slammed the doors in the room shut, blocking out their argument from any listeners. "If you stay like this, you're only going to drive this Kingdom to ruin."

"How am I going to drive it to ruin, father?! I'm helping those who need it!"

The king threw his sword on the ground in a fit of rage. "One day you're going to have too many mouths to feed, look after, clean after, and DEFEND YOURSELF FROM."

The prince backed up as his father stomped closer and closer to him with his finger raised. "Not everybody is a lunatic who wants to kill us, okay?! That was your fault they betrayed you!"

"That is precisely why I want you to stay out of every other cookie's trouble! Next thing you know, we'll be going to war for sheltering a wanted criminal!" Spit flew out of the kings mouth as he articulated every word.

"She's not a damn criminal, nobody I've saved has been!"

"What would you have done if she pulled a knife on you when you were riding her home while you were thinking of how much of a hero you are to save such a 'poor crumbly cookie'?" the king's voice dropped in volume.

"..."

The king scoffed as he saw his son's eyes drift to the ground. "You're as vulnerable as your brother."

"I AM NOT MY BROTHER," Dark Cacao growled.

"LOOK HOW YOU ARE ACTING! Chaos is peering into your windows and yet you leave the doors unlocked," the king's eyes burned into Dark Cacao.

"I promise that I will make this kingdom grow to greater heights than you think it will, but NEVER will I be like my brother," Dark Cacao looked back up.

The king grabbed a strong hold of his shirt and shook him. "YOU ARE NOT READY FOR WHAT COULD COME OF YOUR ACTIONS!"

"I AM OLD ENOUGH TO HANDLE THEM JUST FINE!" he screamed.

"THE CONSEQUENCES CAN APPEAR AT ANY MOMENT, SON!"

"WHAT IF THE 'CONSEQUENCES' ARE WHAT I NEED TO BRING THIS KINGDOM TO PROSPERITY?!"

The king dropped silent and gave an intense glare to his son, loosening his grip. "Your idea of prosperity is much different than mine."

"So be it."

The king grimaced before throwing his cape to the side as he whipped around, grabbing his sword from the floor and storming out of the room after pushing the doors with two scarred palms.

Dark Cacao frowned before shakily unsheathing his sword, staring at the glowing soul jelly near the grip. The purple hue danced and seemed to taunt him as his dough grew hotter and more crumbly with anger. The sound of his weapon being thrown onto the ground resonated in the chambers, breaking the overbearing tension in the air.

The prince stalked out of the room opposite of his father with heavy steps, not looking back.

———

A door creaked open, a couple of minutes after the royals had disbanded. Soft and careful footsteps made their way closer to the sword awaiting the next wielder.

"Praise to the witches," the voice breathed.

Word count : 952