Will-O'-the-Wisp (angst)

Hey you guys! There might be a couple of updates over some of my books, I tested positive for Covid, so I'm going to be here the next few days instead of being at work... So hi! Anyway, I wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone for helping this book reach 300k reads! That's insane, thank you so much! 

This chapter title might be a bit misleading, the idea of the Pixar movie Brave did come into mind, but I'm thinking along the idea of Willis from the ballet Giselle and Slavic myth. Spirits of women who died before their wedding days and had a love of dancing, so that's what this is!

WARNING: This chapter contains descriptions of VIOLENCE, DEATH and SUICIDE. If ANY of these topics upset you, please don't read this chapter, unless you are comfortable with your support team! Thank you guys, enjoy the chapter! 

Set in Medieval Time Era!

___________________________________________

3rd Person pov

The Umbrella Academy were the protectors of the kingdom, they protect those that can't protect themselves, using their powers to destroy enemies of King and country. The protectors themselves were children, teenagers at best. They had the most extraordinary of powers and would use them when necessary, their father, Lord Reginald Hargreeves, would give the orders. He would find the threats and send in the cavalry.

One of these threats and potentially the most important and dangerous of threats, were the Will-o'-the-Wisps. Women and girls who had killed themselves over agonising heartbreak or had died affianced but before their wedding day. They would use their power of seduction to lure people to the forest, begging their victims to dance with them, or join them for a swim, either waiting patiently to drown them in the waters they live in, or watching with soft, insane smiles as they dropped dead after hours of dancing. 

There was a very specific Wisp that seemed to be causing more problems than the rest. On average, a single Wisp could lure and kill two, maybe three people a month, their energy would deplete and have to be nourished by killing or bathing in the light of the full moon. However, this Wisp, seemed to have more power, more... Ambition.

Nobody knew what this spirit looked like, she had killed anyone who saw her face, local children had made up stories about the girl, none of which seemed to deter people from going near the Black Lake, where she dwelled. The local villagers would debate which story was true.

Some say, that the girl was so beautiful, even in death, that men and women went crazy and offered themselves to her in sacrifice, as though she were a deity. Although, the same story was spun, telling the children to beware, the girl was ghastly and haggard-looking and would turn you to stone to add to her collection of pretty things.

There was a story that the reason she died was because even the Gods were jealous of the girl and her beauty, her grace and her power and drove her mad, drawing her into suicide. 

The Academy were tasked with discovering this new species of Wisp, as her sisters had never caused nearly this much trouble, and to put a stop to her and her mischief. Now, obviously you can't kill a spirit, they were already dead, but you can banish it, exorcise it, trap it. The local monks were asked to make the Academy something to trap the Wisp in, they succeeded and returned with a canopic jar made of clay, claiming it was a Demon Jar, just get close to the spirit and whilst it was occupied, summon it into the jar, they would be trapped for eternity, with no way out.

Klaus and Allison were the first to meet the Wisp, being the two people who would be the least affected by her and her abilities. Klaus had often been forced to commune with the dead, so he would be the most used to seeing a ghostly presence. Allison, being female, already had a weakened lure to the Will-o'-the-Wisp, but could rumour her if needed and hopefully wouldn't be as damaged by the Wisp's provocative voice.