chapter 13

It was an eventful night, to say the least.

Kakucho drove Y/n home, they were quiet for most of the drive. Then they stopped at a red light, and Y/n spoke. "Your boss is nice" She suddenly commented making her childhood friend look at her. "So you're a part of an investigation group huh"

He didn't know what exactly she was talking about but it seems like Mikey had lied to her the whole time.

 Kakucho rolled with the lie, it was better to lie than tell her the truth with the possibility of her getting hurt. He fixed his grip on the steering wheel as he looked straight at the road before speaking.

The red light of the traffic light reflected on his face. "Yes, I am" He paused. "We're an underground group that investigates everyone when paid." It wasn't a complete lie, they did give and take information from everyone which was kinda like investigating.

"Yeah, he said as much" She hummed referring to her and Mikey's conversation. "I'm sorry if I created trouble, I guess I was just paranoid or something"

Kakucho didn't say anything, he just glanced at her. She continued. "But something's still bothering me" Y/n looked at him. "If you were investigating that thing that happened in the abandoned market street, why would Ran break my camera and said that you guys can't leave any evidence?"

It was indeed an odd mishap. Why would Ran say such a suspicious thing as if they were the ones who did the crime? Lies never mix with the truth no matter what you do. 

Some details don't add up and it was clear they didn't create a convincing lie to ease the girl's paranoia.

"Well that's because you're a civilian," He thought of something quick. "We can't afford any other mess since we don't exactly work with the authorities. We sometimes work against them since as I said earlier, we investigate everyone as long as they pay us. And the authorities are no exception"

Good Job Kakucho. What an exceptional lie. Are you ready to pay its price?

"Oh, so you guys thought I'll report it to the police?" She pondered. "Okay, I sort of got it. You guys are like the morally grey characters in a story, you do bad things to do good"

"Yeah, something like that" He was relieved she bought the lie. "And if you know anything further, you will be putting yourself in danger. So just brush this off and forget everything, please. I don't want you to get hurt"

She smiled as an answer and then the traffic light turned green. And again they enjoyed each other's presence in silence for the rest of the drive.

Once they reached her apartment, Kakucho insisted that he'll walk her to her door, and she made no protest. They walked in silence until they reached her floor. 

The two stood just outside her door, he handed her, her bag filled with the books she bought earlier.

"Thanks" She took the bag and gave him a hug. He felt something fall into his pocket. "Next time keep it somewhere no one will easily find" It was the flash drive. She broke the hug and smiled at him before entering and leaving Kakucho standing in the hallway.

Y/n's phone buzzed; someone had texted her. >> Goodnight << It was Kakucho.

She texted back. >> Goodnight <<

== secrets are slowly making its way into the light ==