chapter 25

Everyone was inside the ballroom already and everyone was wearing the masks that they were given. Y/n can see on the device where Bonten stood, everything was set on her side of the plan but she still can't find Naoto anywhere.

The party was going to start soon so Y/n had to move quickly. She quietly exited the ballroom and checked the hallway if anyone was around before she ran towards the exit.

With her phone in her hand, she dialed Naoto's number over and over again but it always went to voice mail. Surely Naoto wouldn't ditch her, right?

Of course he wouldn't, he's not that type of person.

"Naoto, answer the damn phone-!" She muttered frustratedly.

It was quite hard to run quickly since her dress was constricting her movements. She wasn't even halfway down the hallway when someone grabbed her by the arm and pulled her into a room.

The room was cramped and dark, and there was a person in front of her who was covering her mouth. Her mind was racing, was she going to die right now?

She tried to shout but it was all muffled because the person was holding her mouth too tight. She also can't move too much since there's little to no space in the room; which she assumed was just a janitor's closet.

"Can you please stay still?" The person spoke right in her ear. The voice was familiar. "And keep quiet." Y/n nodded slowly.

"Good girl" She can feel his breath right on her skin.

The hand on her mouth slowly pulled away and the room's light then turned on to reveal none other than the older Haitani.

"Ran?" She squinted as her eyes adjusted to the light.

"I'm surprised you can tell who I am" He whispered. Their close proximity was quite uncomfortable for Y/n.

She tried to back away but it didn't make a change, they were still chest to chest with each other. "Why are you whispering, why'd you pull me here?"

The reason was really childish. Mikey actually ordered Sanzu to look for Y/n, but Rindou protested and said he'd look for her instead.

But Ran wasn't going to allow that, he wanted to see Y/n first and so he separated from the others to look for her before Rindou could.

Honestly, he didn't actually know why he would want to see her first. Does it make a difference if his younger brother saw her before him?

Not really.

But he can't shake the feeling of the hatred when he thought of other men seeing her first. And he was embarrassed to tell Y/n why he pulled her inside a janitor's closet.

"Uhm, Ran..?" She called him. But her attention was immediately pulled away when she noticed her phone wasn't in her hand anymore. "Wait, my phone-! where is it?"

Y/n moved around to look for it but because of the dim light, she basically can't see a thing. And the fact that they were basically sandwiched together doesn't make moving any easier.

She suddenly flinched when Ran grabbed both of her upper arms, his head rested on her shoulder and he was breathing quite heavily.

"Ran..? Are you alright?" Her voice was quiet.

Was he injured? Y/n couldn't help but worry despite him being the criminal she's trying to apprehend. She tried to check if he was injured anywhere.

"Y/n- I told you... to stay still" He spoke through heaves of breath.

"I need to check if you're alright-! you look like you're about to pass out" She spoke sternly.

His grip tightened and he looked at her. And with a desperate voice, he spoke. "Woman you are driving me insane-!"