chapter 22

Y/n whistled a tune as he waited for Mikey by the shopping district. She had invited him to visit a bakery shop since she knows how much Mikey liked baked goods.

She spotted him getting off his bike, he was wearing something else instead of his usual black shirt and pants. Which was a surprise but not to her since she doesn't know what he usually wore.

Mikey approached the girl who greeted him with a wide smile. "I hope you weren't busy today," She said.

"I wouldn't have agreed if I was busy" He answered nonchalantly. "You're paying right?"

She let out a short laugh. "Of course" Y/n answered. "Let's go?"

Despite Mikey's cold demeanor, Y/n was comfortable around him. Because to Y/n, Mikey is like a kid. She didn't know why but she can just feel that he has this hidden childishness to him.

There was the tiniest bit of sparkle in his eyes whenever she bought him sweets and such. It made her happy to see him relax because when they first met she can feel the heavy aura he carries.

After buying baked goods, they went to a specific shrine that Mikey knew well. Y/n was the one who suggested the place so Mikey was quite surprised to see the shrine again. He never thought that he'll be back in that place again.

"This place is so peaceful isn't it?" She muttered as she breathed in the fresh air. "I missed this place"

"You've been here before?" Mikey asked as he watched her.

She nodded. "This was my safe place" She answered. "This is where I go whenever I want to get away, life can be so suffocating back then.."

Mikey only listened as she continued to talk. "I mean, it can still be suffocating now. But we're much more fragile when we were kids"

She then smiled at him. "Did you know this place used to be some sort of gang meeting area?" She informed, but Mikey knew about that already.

"Really?" He pretended not to know. Y/n nodded eagerly. "You weren't afraid of them?" He asked the girl.

"Well at first I was" She pondered. "But when I listened to their meetings, I found out they actually were good people."

Her words were like daggers to him. He was reminded of how Toman was back then, he was reminded of his promise to build a new era of delinquents but seeing how things ended up; he broke his own promise.

How ironic.

He swore to rid of the bad delinquents and yet here he is; The leader of the worst and most brutal gang organization to exist in Japan.

But who could blame him? He did it to create the best future for his friends, and he would do it again at every possible alternate time, even if it means he'll be left miserable on his own.

"Sano?" She called him.

He snapped out of his thoughts and faced her. "Ah, yes?"

"Are you okay?" Y/n asked.

He honestly didn't know. He cleared his throat. "So, tell me more about that gang you saw here"

With a smile, she reminisced. "Well there's a lot to tell" She sat down in front of the shrine and she patted the space beside her, telling him to sit. And so he did and she continued.

She recalled every little detail she can remember, which was not a problem since she's very good at remembering images. Y/n described everything, and all of it replayed in Mikey's mind; it's in his memories after all.

"-And you'd think their leader is going to be that tall blond dude with a tattoo" She continued to speak.

Ken Ryugiji. He said in his mind. Ken-chin

"But I'm not kidding when I said it's not actually him" She smiled, excited to tell him the plot twist that he already knows. "The leader was actually this short dude-"

Mikey's ears were ringing, he stared blankly at the pavement. He knows he's short but being reminded of it still irritates him; a memory played in his mind, it was a memory of Draken teasing him about how short he is, then his friends would laugh when Mikey would deny that he's short.

Oh, what a beautiful memory.

"-he was actually cute if I really stared at him," She said as he pictured an image of the teen Mikey. "He looks about three years older than me though"

He only watched her as she thought of his younger self. It was entertaining to watch a girl talk about his past self.

"I wonder where he is now" She pondered. "I can tell everybody in that gang adored him, some gang only follow their leaders out of fear. But his gang followed him because they genuinely look up to him" She muttered referring to Toman.

Mikey stayed silent. He was again reminded of his friends and Toman.

"I'd honestly follow him too if I were in that gang" She muttered with a slight laugh but slowly she stopped. "But I can't really join those types of groups..."

She can't because of her father. It would be ironic to have a daughter in a gang and a father who is a general in the military.

"I'm really curious to where that gang is today" She spoke as she watched the sky shift its colors. "I wonder if they're still around..." Y/n breathed out, despite asking, she knew that gang group had surely been gone by now. "Though it seems like they're no longer here."

"I'm sure they would've done so much good if they were still here" Y/n continued to ponder. "Don't you think?" She turned to Mikey who only hummed.

Y/n continued to talk and Mikey listened to everything. The sun was setting when she felt a weight fall on her shoulder, she glanced at the man beside her. He had fallen asleep.

She watched as tears fell from his closed eyes, Y/n gently wiped them before facing forward and rested her head on his.

"Rest for now" She whispered.

== Y/n, he's right in front of you /ᐠ-ꞈ-ᐟ\ ==