⚠️SEVENTY-TWO: LET'S STICK TOGETHER⚠️

Slowly but surely, things were going back to being okay.

Things would never be normal again, not with the empty chairs that used to be occupied with smiling faces, or the awkward silences that used to be filled with jokes and laughter.

But things were going to be okay.

It had been a while, staying at Zion's house. It was quiet, peaceful, even, the days passing by and melting into each other. It was rare you even heard a zombie anymore.

The world had never felt more abandoned.

Could they all really be dead? you found yourself wondering, sitting at the breakfast table with a tepid cup of instant hot chocolate, no hot water to give it that signature comfort.

Hailey had died in your arms, and even though her body had been dragged away by zombies, you knew she was gone. Jay had lost his life to save yours, and Madelyn had made you kill her right in front of the school gates.

A part of you wanted to have hope. Judy, Sue, and Jason, there was no way to know for certain whether they were dead. It had been forever since you'd last seen Jason. You imagined him with his hair grown out, face and clothes a little dirty, but he would still be wearing that classic grin. Sue and Judy, would they be looking the same as always?

It was pointless to daydream about such things. As long as they weren't here, it meant they were dead, and that was what was important. It was dangerous to have hope about people who were long gone.

Even people who you'd seen die with your own eyes, you imagined them as they would be now. Madelyn would probably be complaining about her new shoes as you two walked through a puddle of mud and rotten zombie. Jay would find weird and creative ways to pick on you, with the help of Zion, of course.

And Hailey. Hailey would be settling into the comfort of the house, opening up more and more by the day. Her eyes would become less nervous, her movements less skittish, and she would relay all of her oddly hilarious stories to the group, eventually learning to laugh alongside everyone.

You took a sip of your chocolate beverage, thick and grainy.

"I don't think you should drink that, (Y/n)," an uneasy voice from behind came, and Zion appeared, rubbing the back of his neck.

How long had the six of you been staying at the house of Zion's parents? You weren't even sure if it mattered anymore. You placed down your cup, scooting it away, feeling your desire for something hot and soothing fade off.

"Do you ever see them?" you asked suddenly, staring out the window, through the small slit in the curtains. The same scenery as always stood outside. It was a bright yet chilly day.

"See huh?" he asked, coming to your side like he thought you were talking about something out there.

"Our friends," you explained. "You and Jay were close."

You could tell this question caught him off-guard, and he pulled away uncomfortably, looking around as if he expected to see one of them now.

"Well, sometimes, I look over my shoulder to tell one of them something, but no one's there," he confessed slowly. "I always feel like one of them is behind me, but when I look I remember they're gone."

He looked around again before dropping down into a chair with a rattle, slumping down in it. "Damn," was all he could say, looking down at his lap with a regretful look. You wondered if he'd never stopped to think about such a thing before now.

"Can I ask you something else?" you continued, turning to him with an intent look, and he seemed to perk up a bit at your forwardness, straightening his back.