⚠️FORTY-TWO: YOU'RE A LITTLE SLOW, AREN'T YOU?⚠️

"Guys, what's going on?"

You didn't see who said it, but you ignored them, turning back around to try and push open the door.

It was locked.

"Give me your ID card," you said to Diana. She flinched, backing away.

"(Y/n), chill out," someone said, grabbing your arm, and you looked up to see Zion. You just pulled away from him, turning back to Diana.

"Give me your ID card," you repeated, stepping towards her. "Now."

"I can't," she said, her voice broken. "Please, Dr. Johnson is a professional, he knows what he's doing. Trust me."

"Professional?" you scowled. "He lied in our face. And he threatened me. And now he's in there with Eugene, probably picking him apart and doing all sorts of sick experiments!"

"Don't say that," Diana said quietly.

"You're just going to leave Eugene in there?" you went on. "While he gets tested on?"

"There's nothing we can do about it!" Diana flashed angrily.

"Yes there is!" you insisted. "Just give me your card. We can go in there and stop that psycho doctor-"

"Do you really think it's that simple?" Diana scoffed. "Maybe if we all go in there, maybe we could stop him. But there are plenty of other replacements."

Diana wrapped her arms around herself, sinking against the wall and onto the floor.

"And who knows what would happen if we went against them," she said in a faraway voice.

"But we can't just leave him in there," you begged, feeling your anger give way to desperation.

"There's nothing we can do," Diana said again. "Maybe some other time, but not today. Not now."

"We can't just..." you began, but it was pointless.

"I'm sorry," Diana said. "You have to go."

How could you just leave Eugene? How could there be nothing you could do to save him?

"(Y/n)," Harry said gently, putting a hand on your arm. "C'mon."

"Don't you care?" you snapped, pushing him away a little more roughly than was necessary. He stumbled backwards, looking at you in surprise.

"I..." he tried, but it looked like he didn't know what to say.

"You saw it, Lawrence," you said desperately. "You know what happened. We have to do something."

"(Y/n), enough," someone said, and you turned to see Sue. She looked sympathetic but stern. "I don't know exactly what's going on, but that woman said there's nothing we can do right now."

There was nothing you could do.

Nothing.

"Now let's go," Zion said. "This is getting too depressing."

You couldn't even fight anymore. Defeated, you followed your friends outside, leaving Diana and Eugene and Dr. Johnson back in the infirmary.

The air outside was fresh and chilly, and the sun was covered by clouds.

"So what happened?" Ethan asked suddenly. "What's going on?"

Everyone turned to look at Lawrence expectantly. He sighed.

"If I'm being honest, I don't really know that much more than all of you," he admit. "According to (Y/n), Eugene has the virus, but he's also immune."