⚠️FORTY-NINE: SOMETHING BAD⚠️

Things went smoothly for the next few days.

The plan was coming together, and everyone was getting along fairly well. There were a few arguments, but in the end, everyone came to peaceful agreements.

The plan was to leave a week from today.

You stared up at the night sky. Without all of the lights, a blanket of stars shone overhead, a sight which you could have never seen in the city.

Somehow, it was calming.

You guessed it was probably around midnight. You were tired, but you were supposed to be keeping standing outside the hotel, keeping watch for Lawrence, Ethan, and Jay to come back from sketching maps and taking notes.

It sounded silly, but you couldn't wait to get back on the outside and be free. This place didn't feel like safe place. It felt like a trap.

You didn't care how many zombies you had to fight. Or how many different places you had to move. As long as you and your friends were all together, away from this nightmare, you would be happy.

You would get out of here, for Judy and Sue.

"U-um, are you cold?"

You looked over your shoulder to see who had spoken. It was Hailey, looking skittish as always, holding a blanket in her arms.

"A little," you said. "Did you bring that for me?"

She nodded quickly. "I can't sleep," she admit, coming over to give it to you. "I'm too w-worried."

"Everything will go fine," you tried assuring her, but your voice was full of doubt. Hailey shook her head, kicking at the ground with the toe of her shoe.

"I feel like... like something bad is g-going to happen," she whispered. "And w-whenever I get that feeling, it always comes true."

"It'll be fine!" you repeated, more for yourself than her this time. She was seriously starting to spook you. You shivered despite the blanket, looking out at the dark silhouettes of faraway buildings.

"I'm sorry," Hailey whimpered. "But I got the same feeling the night J... Judy was taken. And also the morning you and Harry got attacked. So I know something bad is-"

"They're back," you said, glad that this conversation could be over. You saw a flashlight beam in the distance and felt relieved the group was coming back safely.

"How did it go?" Hailey blurted nervously as soon as they were close enough. Lawrence had papers under his arm, looking like business, but Jay and Ethan were barely conscious.

"Fine," Lawrence replied. "Though we weren't able to do as much as I would've liked."

"Why? What happened?" you asked, pulling the blanket tighter around you against the chilly night air.

"Just ask them," he sighed. Ethan and Jay both yawned in response, and you stifled a giggle.

"Not the best group mates for a night job," you joked lightly as the five of you pushed through the double doors into the lobby. The bright light from the chandelier calmed your nerves a little.

"You're telling me that now," Lawrence said, a slight smile on his face.

You hurried up the stairwell after the others to the second floor, which was dark and quiet.

"W-well, goodnight," Hailey stuttered, rushing over to her room without even bothering to ask for the blanket back.

"Yeah, night," Jay mumbled. He too disappeared into his room, and Ethan did the same without even saying anything.

"Are you going too?" you asked Lawrence, who was looking at some of the sketches.

"I'm going to my room, but I'll probably be up mapping," he said.

"Do you want any help?" you offered. You were tired, but at the same time, you didn't really want to be alone. Hailey had creeped you out.

"It's alright," Lawrence dismissed, giving you a strange look. "You should get some rest."

"Okay. Uh, see you." Not knowing what else to say, you awkwardly walked over to your door, getting ready to go in.

"(Y/n)," Lawrence called, making you stop. "Is something wrong?"

You turned around to meet his questioning eyes. You shrugged, feeling a little silly.

"It's just that Hailey said she felt like something bad was going to happen," you explained. "It kinda creeped me out."

"Would you like to stay with me?" Lawrence offered.

"No, it's fine," you said. After the past few nights of everyone sleeping in Felix's room, you wanted to give him the chance to finally have some privacy. Not to mention you missed your own privacy as well. "I'll be okay."

"Sleep well, then," he said, giving you a wave. "If you need anything, I'm right next door."

With that he was gone, and you were alone in the hall. You had a strange feeling in your stomach, but you ignored it, going into your room.

It was pretty dark, so you flicked on the TV for light, flipping through the channels until you got to one that was just a blank screen instead of annoying static. It wasn't too bright, but it was enough to be comforting while you slept.

Was someone going to be taken tonight? you couldn't help but wonder as you lie in bed in silence. It had to be a coincidence. There was no way Hailey could predict when something would happen.

Or was there?

You rolled onto your side, pushing the thoughts out of your head. There was no use in thinking about it and losing sleep. You closed your eyes, slowly letting yourself drift off...

But it wasn't long before you woke up again, to the sound of footsteps by your bed.

Then a strange snap of latex. Medical gloves.

Your heart stopped and your eyes shot open.

They had come again. And this time, it was for you.