Chapter 19

I followed Colt quietly as we walked through the carnival in silence. It looked like a regular carnival, with a rollercoaster and a merry-go-round. Food stands were set up all around us, serving people as we passed them. A man started to yell, drawing a crowd in front of his game. I looked around at the different games and rides, keeping an eye out for Urie. My pocket had a thin layer of ice around it, from how cold my hands were. I looked around more as I walked, while Colt led the way and looked back at me once in a while. I huffed every time he did it, which got annoying. He looked straight ahead as he stopped. I almost crashed into him. "We shouldn't stop. It's probably what they want us to do," I said, as Colt turned in many directions. I studied him in confusion, then realized he was ignoring me. "Colt, we need to keep going. This is dangerous," I said, as he looked at me. "Shush, I'm trying to figure out where we need to go," he said, as he started to sniff the air. He turned up ahead. "Let's go straight. Please keep it down, I need to concentrate," he said, as he started to walk up ahead. I sighed again as I followed in silence, watching his back just in case something happened. We continued to walk through the carnival as it started to get a little more confusing. Colt walked a little bit, then slowed down to sniff the air. "Maybe I should turn into my dog form," he said, as I took a deep breath. "They probably know you're here already. Plus I'm with you, so you think they'll realize that you're not a regular dog?" I asked as he narrowed his eyes at me. "I would teach you a lesson, but this is not the right time, Ella," he said, as I huffed. I scooted in front of him as I kept walking straight, weaving my way through the carnival in silence. "HEY, WAIT ELLA!" Colt yelled as I turned around. "Your being useless, so I'm gonna figure a way out of this," I said, as I continued to walk away. Colt started to catch up. "Do you know a way out of this?" he asked as he walked by my side. "No, but I've been caught in a few illusions to figure my way out of here," I said, as I looked around. I stopped as I looked at the funhouse, then at another tent right next to it. The tent looked like a storage tent, with boxes and different supplies. I headed for the tent. "Should we go to the funhouse or something?" Colt asked as I huffed. "That's what they want us to think," I said, as he huffed himself. "But, isn't a storage tent more dangerous?" he asked as I opened the tent entrance.

The tent was full of cages in all shapes and sizes. The cages had different supplies in them, making it less obvious to hide. I looked around as I quietly walked into it, letting the sheet fly back down.  I looked around as I slowly walked, keeping an ear open for any sound that came my way. The only thing that I could hear, was dripping water and a chain swaying in the wind. I started to walk slowly through as I fisted my hands to keep them cold. The sound of running came from outside the tent as Colt ran in. "Ella, what are you doing," he started to say but I turned around and placed a finger to my lips, hoping he would be silent. I walked up to him. "Keep it down. I don't know where they're hiding," I said, as I pulled away from him and started to walk more into the tent. "Ella. They could be in here," he finally whispered. I turned to him. "What was your plan? To turn around and hope we don't run into them?" I asked as I studied him. He fell silent. I nodded. "That's what I thought. Through the tent we go," I said, as I started to sneak through the tent. I weaved my way through the tent as padding came up behind me. I whipped around as a big black nose zoomed into my face. I sighed. "Colt, I don't think your dog form will be helpful," I said, as Colt tilted his head back and whimpered. I sighed. "Alright, just keep it silent and stealthy. I don't want to get caught," I said, as I started to weave my way through again. I crawled over boxes and dodged crates that got in my way. I quietly moved some to the side as I passed through the messy tent. It was challenging to weave through the tent. But to my surprise, we made it out easier than I expected. I stood up and looked at the exit before us, which showed a pathway between a bunch of other tents. I exited as Colt went back into his human form.  Colt walked after me as he turned back. "That was better than I expected. Even for a crowded tent," he said, as I glanced at him. "Told you," I said, as I started to walk away. A cold breeze brushed up against me, which was soothing. Colt shivered. "It's colder now," he said, as I shrugged. "It's relaxing," I said, as he shot me another look. "Are you crazy? It's freezing," he said, as I looked at him. "Oh yeah. Ice Queen," he said, as I rolled my eyes at the comment. "Let's just hurry. Maybe we'll find a warmer tent so you won't freeze to death," I said as we continued to walk through the carnival.