Chapter 20

Ella's POV:

I awoke in a dim bedroom. The room was a decent size, with a dome ceiling and a chandelier. The dome stretched down and blended with the brown walls of the room. I blinked the tiredness out of my eyes, as I sat up and looked around the room. I was lying on a twin-sized bed, with a small blanket wrapped around me.  A small, fluffy pillow was resting under my head.  A victorian-styled couch sat on the opposite side of the room, facing a fancy-looking fireplace, with a red blazing flame lit in the middle of it. The room was warm, with the fireplace being the only heat source. The flame was about medium-sized, big enough to heat the whole room but not enough to catch the room on fire.  I sat up to look at the flame better, then rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. I placed my feet on the floor as I looked at myself. I was expecting to be bounded head to toe in chains, but to my surprise, I didn't have any on.  

I got up off the bed and started to look around the room. I walked around the room as I examined the walls. No pictures or paintings were hung and no windows were in the room either. The walls had a bit of texture to them, but I never noticed until I started to walk around the room.  I walked to the wall to the right and I noticed a brown door. It was somewhat victorian, with iron bars as handles. My eyes widened when I noticed it and ran to it. I grabbed the handle and tugged, but the door didn't budge. I kicked at the door to see if it would raddle, but it stayed still. I took a deep breath as I kicked at the door again.  Nothing changed. I thought of trying to freeze the handle off, but with the room's temperature, I was too warm to freeze it. 

I backed up from the door and turned to look around the room, in hopes of finding something to help me get the door open. I managed to find a little pick by the fireplace. I picked it up and walked back to the door. I started to look for a keyhole, but the door didn't have one, so I jammed the pick in the middle of the two doors. After being unsuccessful, I turned the pick around and tried to squeeze the hook end in the middle of the handles. "Come on. Open," I said as it slipped and fell on the floor. I huffed and put the pick back. "Ok. The door has to open somehow," I said, as I walked back to the door. I stood in front of it and checked my temperature, but the room was still too warm to freeze it.  

I huffed as I placed my hands on my hips. "How can you open it," I said, as footsteps came into the room. "If you're looking for a way out, I already tried," a familiar voice said, as my eyes widened. I slowly turned around to find Cameron standing on the opposite side of the room.  He was leaning up against the wall with his arms crossed. He was dressed in a black tee shirt and dark jeans, with a little chain looping on his side. My arms started to shake as I fisted my hands, unable to form ice. I felt a fear starting to grow within me, knowing what my brother was capable of. He huffed as he leaned up against the wall. "Calm down Ella. Just like you, dad made me unable to use my ability," he said, as I narrowed my eyes at him. "Your lying. You're just here to make sure I don't escape," I said, as I fisted my hands again. Cameron sighed as he showed me his right hand, which sat in a leather glove. I rolled my eyes. "So, you're a bad boy. Is that what you're telling me?" I asked as Cameron sighed.  "I can't put you asleep so just calm down. Dad did this for a reason," he said, as I held my hand up. "I don't care and aren't you working for dad? Is this all part of his plan or something?" I asked as Cameron huffed. "Getting you here, yes. Locking me in the room with you, no," he said, his attitude worsening.  I narrowed my eyes at him. "I don't believe you. You are just here so I can't stop dad at whatever he's doing," I said, as Cameron walked up to the couch. "Whatever. Don't believe me. But if I was helping dad, I wouldn't be locked in a room with a brat," he said, as he plopped himself on the couch.

I huffed as I looked at the door again. "Jerk," I mumbled under my breath and started to focus on the door. Cameron huffed as he lay on the couch. "Brat," he replied silently. I studied the door again as I reached for the handle. I wiggled it again, just to get the feeling of it. "Ok, so it must be locked by a chain," I said to myself as I turned the handle down. I pulled it towards me but it didn't budge.  I got on the floor and I tried to look underneath it, but the door was too long. I lay on the floor as I studied it for a second. I heard shifting from the opposite side of the room. "What are you doing?" a grumpy Cameron asked. I glared at him from the corner of my eye. "Trying to get out of here and not sitting on my butt," I snapped. Cameron sighed. "You're just wasting your time. Dad molded the handles together," he said, as I turned around and pressed my back to the door. "How do you know that?" I asked, forcing myself to settle down. "When dad first locked us in, I tried to open the door myself. The handle was scorching hot when I touched it. I would've asked you for help, but you were still sleeping," he explained. 

I chuckled. "You are the one that put me asleep in the first place. Couldn't you've awakened me?" I asked as Cameron chuckled. "I can't wake others up. I can only put others to sleep. Keeping people awake was mom's ability and she was worse than dad is now," he explained. I hugged my knees. "So it was one of those things where dad took me and mom took you?" I asked as Cameron slouched back on the couch. "Exactly. But I dropped out of school and left mom before she died. Then a year ago, I reconnected with dad," he explained. I studied the fire as I finally stood up. I walked back over to the couch and sat on the bed again.

Cameron remained slumped on the couch as he studied the fire.  "What was mom like?" I found myself asking. Cameron glanced at me for a moment. "Crazy," he said with a chuckle. I turned to him. "Dad's level of crazy?" I asked as he began to laugh. "Dad's evil, not crazy. Mom was crazy and I can't believe you don't,"  he said, as he stopped. I turned to him silently. He sighed. "Sorry. I forgot you grew up here. That's probably why he brought you here in the first place," he said as if he was talking to himself.  I looked at the fire for a brief second then back to him, curious. "So, tell me more," I said, getting excited. Cameron turned back to me. "About?" he asked, as I huffed. "Mom. You said she was crazy. What else was she like?" I asked as he studied me. "That was it. Nothing more to talk about," he said, turning back to the flames. 

"Do you have a picture of her?" I asked as he shook his head. "It's at our mansion in the demon world. I didn't bring it with me." I sighed as I lay on my back, getting comfortable. "Alright. So were you close to mom?" I asked as he shot me a look. "Ya know. Your really talkative for someone that is mad at me," he stated. I huffed. "Did you want me to stay mad at you? Cause if you do, I'll go back over on the bed back there," I said, pointing to where I was lying before. Cameron huffed. "Only if you wanted to," he said, as he turned back to the flame.  I did too. "So. Colt mentioned a girl named Lilly," I started to say as Cameron turned to me. "Lilly is Urie's daughter," he explained. I shot him a look again. "I know that," I shot at him. He silently turned to me. I huffed. "What's she like?" I asked. Cameron cracked a smile. "A brat like you. She hated that trick that she pulled. Urie forced her into it," he explained.  I cracked a smile that caught his attention. "What?" he asked. I leaned my head on the back of the couch. "Do you like her?" I asked as he glared at me. "No. She's too annoying. Besides, she's thirteen," he explained. I cracked a smile at him. "So, what's the problem?" I asked as he turned to me. "She's thirteen. I'm an adult," he explained. I picked my head up and studied him confused. "What now?" he asked, as I shifted on the couch. "Cameron. How old are you?" I asked as he studied me. "Twenty-two," he said, as I looked at him shocked. "Your not that old," I said, as he nodded. "Ella, I was five when you were born," he said, as I went back to the flame. "Sorry. You look younger than that," I explained. 

The room fell silent except for the crackling of the fire. I lay comfortably on the couch as I watched the fire in silence. Cameron huffed. "Dad's up to something again," he said, with a huff. I turned to him. "I kinda figured when Aaron and I disappeared from school," I said, as my head shot up. "Aaron. Where is he?" I asked as Cameron shrugged. "What do you mean you don't know?" I asked, in shock. "I don't know Ella. When you came here the first time, Shiki took him somewhere and disappeared. No one seen either of them since," he said, as I relaxed again. Cameron sighed. "Aaron disappeared, we're stuck in here. I don't know what Urie did with Lillian and who knows where Max and Roen's kids are," he said,  as I turned to him. "I know where Max and Roen's kids are. But I can't say," I pointed out.  Cameron huffed. "I would call Colt right now. But dad took our phones," he said, as I sighed. "I wonder if Lindo is still with Ritsuka," I said, more to myself. Cameron looked at me funny. "Lindo? Ritsuka?" he asked, as I turned to him. "Aaron and I's roommates. Lindo takes care of the three of us," I explained.  Cameron studied me funny. "Are they devils or vampires? Cause if their vampires," he started to say as I cut him off. "They're human. Well, you could say Lindo's both," I said, as Cameron continued to study me. 

I started to get uncomfortable. "What?" I asked as he took a deep breath. He scooted forward. "You've been living with humans all your life?" he asked as I nodded. "I didn't know I was a devil for most of my life," I explained.  Cameron blinked as he sat back. I gave him a moment to let the information sink in. He pressed a hand to his head. "Your living with humans," he said to himself.  I got comfortable. "Are you ok?" I asked as Cameron looked at me. "Do they know that your a," he said as my nod cut him off. "They know. They're ok with it," I explained. Cameron looked at the floor, then started to get off the couch. "I'm going in the back room for a while," he said, as he started in the hallway that he came out of. "Ok, rest well," I said, as he walked down the hall. "Take a shower, Ella. It'll help you relax," he yelled. I cocked my head in confusion. "Ok," I said, as I got up and went for the hallway myself.