Chapter 16

The walk was silent for the most part. I kept walking behind Colt with my hands in my pockets, feeling cold up against my leg. The tunnel was dark and wet, with water that barely covered the floor. Not much light got in, except for the vents that were built into the roof. I looked up at a couple of the vents to make sure no one was above us. The whole tunnel gave me an eerie feeling, especially now that I was alone with Colt. My mind wandered with the curiosity of who's side he was really on and what his next move was gonna be. It still seemed weird that I never saw him, Tim or Eden, before Roen took me to their hideout. My wandering mind pulled me back to the thoughts of when I first met them and how crept out they made me feel. Which made me kinda scared to be alone with him. I kept a little foot away from him but stayed close enough so I can see him. Plus he needed to turn around and see me too. But the question is if he could really be trusted. I shook my head as I thought to myself. If Roen didn't trust his own kid, he wouldn't let this happen. A few times on the walk I wanted to say something, but it wouldn't help with the escape. So I just followed silently and kept to myself, while Colt switched to his dog form and sniffed the way out. 

I walked for about three hours now, following Colt as he sniffed the ground. He was a black and tan German Sheppard with fur as fluffy as Tim's. His tail was furry like a husky, but it curled up over his back like Roen's. His body was built almost like a wolf, with tall legs and a little bit of a hunched back. He had a long muzzle with a solid black nose that sat on the end of it.  His paws were huge, almost like a small bear with claws that were barely visible on his toes. He walked with his head up high and his ears perched in an alert. He would walk up ahead a little bit, then turn around to look at me to make sure I was still following him. I knew he wanted me to be safe as well, but the way he was looking around made me feel like his prisoner. I didn't really feel comfortable being alone with him, even with not knowing where the Tachibana's or Aaron went.  I studied him for a little bit longer but stopped as to not wanting to make him uncomfortable.  I looked up at the tunnel ahead, as I wondered how far off we were. I stopped to look back and see the darkness that drifted down where we came. It was pretty cold in the tunnel, but that could be because of having my hands covered in ice. I turned around as growling was heard up ahead and Colt turned into his human form.

"You shouldn't be lagging behind Ella. It's too dangerous to stay in one place. But it's ok, we're almost towards the exit," he said, as he started to continue down the tunnel. I studied him as I thought about his attitude. He seemed a little meaner than before, but that could also be because he was ready for an attack.  I started to follow as I took a deep breath. "Sorry. Just a little uncomfortable," I said, as I looked up at him. He glanced back at me with a look that could kill. He took a deep breath as he looked back up ahead. "Don't worry. It's uncomfortable for me too. Try helping your dad when you really need to be unseen from everyone. At least they know you're here in the human world," he said, as I looked up at him. I forgot for a moment that the rest of the committee doesn't know that they were here. I took a deep breath as I looked back down the hallway as we walked. I didn't know exactly what to say to him, partially because of the little fear that grew from our first encounter. I realized that I should say something to break the silence. I took a deep breath. "Thank you for helping. And sorry that your risking being seen," I said, as he glanced back at me.  I felt my arms become cold as I crossed them. I decided to keep my arms crossed as long as I could. Colt took a deep breath as he faced forward and continued to walk. "It's no big deal. My dad didn't betray my family like the rest of the committee. And with the vampires roaming as well, he kinda has an alliance with the previous vampire king," he said, as he was gonna continue but I spoke before he could. "He rebelled against my dad and helped the vampires, right?" I asked as Colt nodded.

"Yeah. Back when Nesta was king. But ever since then, Rem helped him out. So he took his side. And now that Karlheinz took over, things with the vampires have been different. They're teaming up with humans to destroy us, devils," he explained. I sighed as I nodded, even though he wasn't looking. "So, it's still devils vs. vampires. But does this Karlheinz know about us?" I asked as Colt stopped in his tracks. He turned back in confusion. "What? About our rebellion?" I nodded but stayed silent. Colt studied me for a few moments in confusion, then turned around and got serious again. "No, he doesn't. All I know is that he knows what your dad is trying to do for the human world. And doesn't want anyone to harm humanity for a reason. But we don't know what that reason is," he explained. I looked down as we continued to walk in silence. I was confused about this whole thing. "So, this Karlheinz could be trying to take over as Nesta did?" I asked as Colt nodded. "Yeah. But things are different. It's more like a battle for the human world," he explained.  I cocked my head in confusion. "Like both devils and vampires want to take control?" I asked as Colt nodded. "Exactly. But, according to dad. Karlheinz wants to protect humanity. He doesn't want to control the way our parents or your dad wants," he explained. 

I cocked my head sideways. "Your dad still rebelling against my dad?" I asked as Colt shrugged. "I'm not sure. He's always going back to the mansion each night, so I don't know what he's doing," he said with a sigh. I studied him carefully. "Are you going to be alright?" I asked as he turned to look back at me. "How can I be alright? My dad might rebel against my family. If that happens, we won't know what to do," he said, as I looked at him. "You could join us. Aaron, Max, and I rebelled against the committee. It's a hard battle but we're struggling through it together," I said, as Colt studied me. He took a deep breath as we continued, heading down another hallway. "Well, what about Cameron? He still works for your dad," he said, as I became silent. I looked up at Colt as I took a deep breath. "I don't know about Cameron. I've met him, but I don't really know him," I said, as Colt glared at me. "He's your brother, you should," he said, but stopped mid-sentence. I studied him with a confused look on my face. Colt took a deep breath. "I'm sorry. I forgot you didn't live with your family," he said, as he looked back down the tunnel. I looked ahead as I sighed. "It's ok. It just makes everything more difficult," I said, as I followed.

The conversation died as we continued to walk. I looked up past Colt to see that the tunnel changed just a little bit. At the end of the tunnel was darkness with a step that appeared out of it. "We're almost out," he said, as growling was heard up ahead. Colt stopped in his tracks as he huffed. "Eden, it's just me. Ella's here too," he said, as a dog walked out of the blackness.  The dog was a husky that was the size of Roen's dog form. It was black and white and not fluffy at all. It had the same eyes as Roen and had a little pink color on. The dog barked aggressively at Colt. Colt cracked a smile. "You really wanna challenge me here?" he asked, as the puppy growled at him, then changed to Eden's human form. "Your such a jerk," she said, as she sighed. "We need to get to the hideout and quickly," she said, nodding hello at me. I looked at her in confusion as I kept to myself. Colt's eyes widened. "Is it about the boy?" he asked, as she nodded. My eyes widened as I figured that they were talking about Max. Eden nodded as she turned and booked into a run into the darkness. Colt sighed as he ran next, with me trailing behind him.

We followed Eden all the way down the hallway which led to a cross-section of hallways. I walked in the middle as I looked around, seeing two hallways going into blackness. The hallway to the right ended up going up one step, which I figured was stairs. I looked at it amazed as I turned around to look back down the tunnel we came. I studied the hallway in silence as walking was heard up ahead, with Colt and Eden talking. Their voices became distant as Colt shifted to look at me. "Are you going to stand there all day and risk getting caught?" he asked as I studied him carefully. Was he giving me attitude at a time like this? Eden huffed as she spoke. "Colt, leave her alone. Ella, we might need you too. Come on," she said, as I looked at the staircase. I looked down the hallway as I studied the blackness. I took a deep breath and looked at Colt, as he raized an eyebrow. "You still don't trust us, do you?" he asked as I sighed. "No, I really don't," I admitted as Colt huffed, then walked off the step.

He walked behind me as he pushed me lightly on the shoulder towards the steps. "It's fine. I'll trail behind you," he said as he slowly placed a hand on my shoulder, showing off his sharp claw-like nails. I studied them from the corner of my eye as I sat there in fear. Was he threatening me? I heard some movement as his breath was hitting the back of my neck, then my cheek. "I'll follow, just in case someone's following," he said lightly in my ear. I looked at him as I started to walk without question, seeing how he started to act all creepy again. Eden turned around as she looked at Colt. "Can you not freak Ella out?" she asked, as she started to jog towards the stairs. I kept up with her as Colt took a deep breath. "I'm sorry. She's cute," he said, as I turned to look at him.  "You do know I have a boyfriend," I brought up as he looked at me.  His look turned serious then cracked a smile. "You do? I wanna meet him someday and tell him what a sweet girlfriend he has," he explained. I sighed deeply. "It's Aaron," I said, as Colt got serious. "Aaron? Your boyfriend's Aaron?" he asked, as I nodded. I went to speak as Eden poked down from the staircase. "We'll discuss this later. Come on," she said, as she went back up the staircase. I looked back at Colt for a second, then walked to follow Eden up the stairs.