Chapter 6: My Family Line?

My Family Line?

Harry gaped. It was Tom Riddle for sure but how? Harry had only just spoken to the snake version of Voldemort not but two hours ago. Was this really all just a bizarre dream? Harry considered it. Maybe he would wake up and he'd still be at Privet Drive fevered and in pain.

"I'm glad you enjoy the view, but please take your seat. We have a lot to discuss." Harry was snapped out of his minds spiral and his cheeks reddened of their own accord. That voice, it was just as cool and smooth as it had been in the Chamber. The only difference was that the red eyes were still present. But the perfectly coiffed dark brown hair sat upon the man's head and while the man was still pale he wasn't translucently so. He even had a nose! And lips! The Dark Lord was bloody handsome, the bastard!

Jerkily Harry tried to force his legs to move, taking the seat directly across from the man. He still needed to provide some distance between them, no matter what the deal had said. Voldemort said nothing about his choice of seat and instead snapped his fingers and an elf scurried out bringing plates of food. The two men sat in silence as the food was brought forth. Harry turned down the offer for wine by the elf, he needed all of his wits about him and just settled for a glass of water; noticing that Voldemort didn't have wine either.

The elf left and the two were in silence once again. "Do help yourself," Voldemort said easily as he began filling his own plate with a helping of the roast and potatoes. Working on autopilot and feeling incredibly numb, Harry copied the man's motions hardly able to take his eyes away. "Go ahead and ask your questions, Potter," the man sighed.

"How? Why? You're not-" Harry trailed off how did he even begin to ask.

Voldemort seemed amused, the quirk of one eyebrow being the only indication. "Such a Gryffindor. Well, Potter, allow me to answer your uncouth and garbled questions. This is my true form. Admittedly the way you saw me when I exited the cauldron at the graveyard was my rebirthed form, however, the miscreant Wormtail butchered the resurrection potion, leaving me in that state. It has taken the better part of this year to correct the mistake. I do appreciate your disposal of the sniveling fool." Harry shifted uncomfortably at that casual praise. His mind was still trying to process things. Voldemort was talking to him quite easily like they hadn't been sworn enemies just that morning. "As for why I am showing myself like this to you, well, as you pointed out during our meeting, you are not my Death Eater. You are an ally. There is no need for fear and intimidation techniques when it is just the two of us. Also, I don't enjoy the thought of walking about my own home in disguise."

"Right," Harry said dumbly. Was this Voldemort's way of showing that he trusted Harry? Or maybe even valued him? Harry scoffed at that thought internally. No, Voldemort most definitely did not trust or value him, well the man valued him for his inheritance but that was it. They merely had a deal and Voldemort was employing some strange Slytherin technique against him to set him at ease. Given the fact that they had sworn to not kill or harm each other while in this alliance Harry allowed the attempt to work but swore to still remain vigilant.

Mind still numb, he began cutting up his roast and he put some in his mouth to chew robotically. He really was out of his depth and was content to wait for Voldemort to take the lead.

"Now, Potter, on to our arrangement," the man began after about five minutes of silent eating. "You requested protection and I requested the prophecy." Harry nodded, settling back in his chair. "You also requested information, and I have been searching through my library, a library I will show you and grant you access to after dinner, to find any books pertaining to Necromancy and while I haven't found a great deal I do believe I know where you need to start in your search." Harry was listening intently. Finally, he was getting somewhere. "However, I shall show you all of this at the conclusion of dinner. For now, in exchange for the protection provided you shall recite to me the prophecy."