Chapter 24: As You Say

As You Say

The meeting soon turned into a stilted and tense dinner, where Harry attempted to remain the professional Faction Leader and be jovial and amicable, carrying on conversations with everyone while enjoying the perfectly cooked fish and vegetables. He found it hard to converse with Madeline Brocklehurst as if nothing had happened though; like she hadn't made her distaste for something he felt so strongly about evident; like she hadn't just condemned him in the same generalizing comment. And he knew he didn't do a good job and that he spoke coldly to her anytime he did address her. Though he did take vicious pleasure from her paler face and nervousness over having wronged him. Needless to say, he was glad when the green flames swallowed him up and he was stumbling out into Marvolo's office, bracing himself on the couch armrest.

With a sigh, Harry flopped onto the couch and ran a hand through his hair. "I take it the meeting didn't go well?" Harry glanced up at the smooth, deep voice. Marvolo sat at his desk, quill in hand, and obviously in the middle of writing something.

"Yes? No? I mean, I got interest in the school. So that's a positive. But the Dark Creatures...I met some resistance. Lady Brocklehurst made her distaste in all Dark Creatures very evident but when I pointed out that I was one she shut down immediately. Lady MacDougal might be against Dark Creatures too but I'm not fully sure. It's near impossible to read that woman."

"You can't expect immediate agreement. The simple-minded are bred with their prejudice and it is exceedingly difficult to change them."

"But it's wrong! How can people be so okay with such blatant discrimination? They are people! They are living beings and they deserve the same rights," Harry fumed, standing and beginning to pace the carpet in the office, not paying much attention to the dark green swirls woven on the plush cream-colored carpet. "A council of all the races would make the most sense. Everyone would get a say and it would be fair. Why can't people see that?"

"Make them see it," Marvolo replied, attention turning back to the documents he had been working on.

Harry huffed and continued to pace. "Tiberius is setting up a meeting with some of the Dark Faction in three days."

"Who will be invited?"

"I think he said Nott, Yaxley, and Avery. It's to talk to them about the school. Apparently, I need a co-sponsor from each faction."

"I'm certain they will be suitably invested in the cause," Marvolo said blithely and Harry couldn't help but smirk a little.

"The day after that I'm supposed to meet with the Light Faction. I'm more concerned with them. I'll have Madam Bones with me and as far as I know, it will be Madam Longbottom, Lady Abbott, and Lord Macmillan. All parents of kids I went to school with and who were in the DA with me. Hopefully, that will give me some sway with them."

"You'll learn that any interaction and connection can be worked to your benefit."

Harry sighed and flopped back onto the couch. It was obvious by the way Marvolo was still writing that they wouldn't be going to the library and so Harry contented himself with staying in the Dark Lords office instead and called for Mimsy to bring them their after-dinner tea. When the elf returned with the tray, Harry absently fixed them both a cup and brought Marvolo's tea to him, placing it on an empty corner of the desk.

"I didn't poison it unless you don't trust your own elves," Harry quipped when he saw Marvolo frozen and staring pointedly at the teacup. Red eyes flicked back to him before returning to the teacup.

"I am unaccustomed to another making my tea," the man said instead and took a hesitant sip. There was no scathing comment and Marvolo simply took another sip.