Chapter 30: Safety

Safety

Harry shivered as he and Remus stood in the open snow-covered field. He wore his thickest robes and brand new dragon hide gloves lined with fur, but the wind blew hard enough to make the layers feel nonexistent.

"Thanks for coming with me, Harry," Remus said softly beside him. Remus was equally layered with clothes that Harry had gifted him. Remus had tried to protest, but Harry had insisted. He claimed that the whole trip would be pointless if Remus froze to death, and Harry wouldn't be able to bear it if his last father figure died. A bit of exaggerated emotional manipulation, but Harry thought it justified if it meant that Remus accepted the warm clothes.

"Nonsense, of course, I'd come." At least it wasn't snowing, Harry thought, as he stared out at the field. The snow looked idyllic, covering the field like a blanket. If it wasn't so cold that he couldn't feel his toes, he might even enjoy it. Recasting the warming charm, Harry huffed. "When is he showing up? Wasn't he supposed to be here already?"

Remus glanced at his watch. "No, we are, admittedly, early. A few more minutes and it will be the meeting time."

Harry wasn't mollified with this knowledge and clung to his frustrated annoyance while he waited, letting it feed his fury. If anything, it would at least keep him warm. He tried not to let his anger show, though. It wasn't Remus' fault. Harry was just incredibly pissed off, had been since yesterday afternoon when the news broke that Moody and Shacklebolt had slipped their guards and escaped on the way to Azkaban. The guards had all been knocked out and had their memories modified, so there were no leads.

But Harry knew the truth.

Remus had confirmed it. Dumbledore had freed both men. Remus had been notified of the plan the afternoon after the trial and was supposed to participate — and subtly prevent the entire thing — but he had been contacted by Fenrir's pack and been delayed. Two of the men from Fenrir's pack had cornered Remus outside Diagon Alley to tell him of Fenrir's demand to meet.

So, not only was Fenrir late — but not really — it was also Fenrir's fault that Remus hadn't been able to go to the rescue attempt and ruin it, and it was Fenrir's fault that Harry was standing in the cold and snow. Needless to say, Harry was determined to dislike Fenrir Greyback. The fact that the werewolf and Marvolo had been corresponding far more frequently in recent weeks was another annoyance to add. Sadly, Harry wasn't allowed to stew much longer in his anger because a crack sounded, and Fenrir now stood a few feet from them.

Harry glared lightly, observing the Alpha. The wiry, greying hair was loose and brushing against the towering man's shoulders. The feral grin grew when Fenrir noticed Harry.

"Potter," Fenrir rasped. "So good to see you again. Thought about my offer any?"

"What offer?" Remus cut in with a frown.

"You'd make a fine wolf," Fenrir continued, ignoring Remus. "We can test that theory, eh?" Fenrir flashed a grin that showed his teeth, which looked oddly sharp.

"Told you before, try it and see what happens," Harry growled back.

"Your cub has spirit," Fenrir said, finally turning to Remus. Harry bristled at his challenge being dismissed. The desire to see Fenrir coloring the snow red with his blood hit him hard. Harry shook himself and sucked in a quick breath, a bit concerned and overwhelmed at the ferocity of the feeling.

Remus just nodded. "You wanted to speak to me?"

"Actually, you wanted to speak with me," Fenrir said. "You wrote me the letter."

"A month ago."

Fenrir shrugged. "Been busy."

Harry nudged Remus when it was obvious that Fenrir wasn't going to say more. Harry might not like Fenrir, but he knew that Remus needed to do this. If that meant asking Fenrir, then Harry would still support Remus. Hands shoved into his pockets, despite his warm gloves, he wrapped his fingers around his wand. He might support Remus in seeking help and answers, but he still didn't trust Fenrir.