Chapter 25: A Noble Aspiration

A Noble Aspiration

The Floo flared, cutting off Tiberius's rambling story that Harry hoped he was meant to pay close attention to. The deceptively cushioned armchair felt rough and scratchy through the dark green silk robes he'd chosen to wear today. Harry shifted again, it hadn't felt this uncomfortable yesterday when he visited and tested out each seat. He'd had to make sure the one he chose was comfortable enough yet still provided an intimidating presence. Yesterday when he and Marvolo had explored Peverell Manor, Marvolo had been amazingly good-humored and teased him in regards to testing out every single piece of furniture.

He was using Peverell Manor for the Dark Faction meeting today and would use it again tomorrow with the Light Faction. Tiberius had offered his Manor for the occasion but Harry didn't want to rely on the older man. He needed to make the proper impression and using his own house was needed. And since he was the one calling the meeting, then he would be the one hosting. If he didn't it would be seen as a weakness and the other Faction members would pounce on it and destroy him.

The meeting was supposed to have taken place yesterday but Tiberius had written to him yesterday morning saying how all three of the Dark Faction members invited had suddenly been unavailable. Harry was willing to bet all the galleons in his vault that Marvolo had sent his followers a small notice encouraging them to be busy. Harry didn't call Marvolo out on it though because he had appreciated the extra day.

The first to exit the Floo was Yaxley followed immediately by Nott and Avery. Harry wondered if they had met with Marvolo first or if they had just coincidentally all Floo'd at the same time. Inwardly Harry scoffed, of course, they met with Marvolo first. It was evident in the weighted gazes of each man who stepped from the fireplace; cautious, fearful, and tense, before even taking in the ancestral home that had been closed off for centuries. Harry didn't imagine the Dark Lord would allow his minions to enter any political discussion without a quick briefing of what he hoped to achieve first. But he was curious about what exactly Marcelo said, what he briefed, and how he prepared his followers. Their eyes didn't hold any hidden smugness or suppressed spark of knowledge. So Harry bet Marvolo had sent his followers to the meeting as blind as could be with just the basic skeleton of instruction. He imagined Marvolo commenting on how keeping them on their toes was amusing to him.

No matter how hesitant they were about the meeting with the weight of their master hanging over them, it still wasn't enough to keep their innate curiosity regarding Peverell Manor at bay for long. And Peverell Manor did not disappoint.

It was extravagant and luscious in every stitch on the rugs and curtains; regal and poised with every elegantly crafted piece of furniture. Harry was confining everyone to the Sitting Room and Formal Dining Room, which were thankfully connected through a single door, so that he wouldn't have unwanted nosey guests poking into all of the other multitudes of rooms — and there were really an absurd amount of rooms that Harry couldn't ever hope to fill — and he'd made sure Dobby, Kreacher, Toby, and Mimsy had the two rooms sparkling by this morning. The elves had stocked his liquor cabinet as well. The curtains were flung back, showcasing the beautiful gardens — again, Harry had made sure the four elves tended to the areas within the immediate viewing vicinity outside the Sitting Room and Dining Room first before dealing with the rest — and allowed the late afternoon light to stream through. The royal blues and creams and dark walnut softened under the sunlight and the air itself smelt slightly of fresh citrus, making it feel cozy and open.

"Thank you for answering my summons gentlemen," Tiberius said as Harry stood swiftly from his seat. "Allow me to introduce you to my new Faction Leader, Lord Potter-Black-Peverell. Lord Potter allow me to introduce Lords Nott, Yaxley, and Avery of the Dark Faction."