Chapter 35: Perfect. Great.

Perfect. Great.

The ballroom was resplendent. Fairy lights draped along the walls like hanging icicles, and a few floating balls of light hovered along the ceiling. A small, intimately sized, orchestra played in the far corner. Each instrument charmed to magically play without assistance. Discretion had been necessary for this ball and so Narcissa hadn't been able to hire an actual orchestra — an orchestra of an appropriate size for the prestige and grandeur demanded of this ball. The Dark Lord, in all of his immense power and gracious benefactory, had charmed the instruments himself to play all night. So Narcissa was confident that the music wouldn't falter and that each song would be to her Lord's taste and preference. French doors had been constructed into the far wall for this night only and they led into the Dark Lords' gardens. There were three ice sculptures out there and subtle warming charms encasing the area that people were allowed to roam, making it comfortable enough to stroll around outside but the charms weren't strong enough to actually melt the snow.

Slushy grounds due to melted snow were just not done.

The Dark Lords' ballroom had been converted into a pristine winter wonderland. Narcissa Malfoy observed her work with her head tilted high. She might be a pureblood heiress — the epitome of pureblood perfection — and it was unbecoming to showcase such frivolous emotions, but a small measure of pride was acceptable and necessary. Especially after the headache she'd suffered when putting it all together. Honestly, the reluctance of Potter dragging his feet in organizing his own ball and then the Dark Lord's revulsion in regards to decorating strategies...it was a miracle that Narcissa had managed to finalize anything. The Malfoy New Year's Eve Ball luckily was the easiest of the three.

Lucius stood next to her looking just as handsome as he did on their wedding day almost two decades ago. His midnight blue robes complimented her own, as they had been designed to do. Narcissa had poured over dress robe designs for three days deciding which style would be best to wear to the Dark Lords' Yule Ball, just as she'd done for the robes for her own ball and for Potter's ball. She couldn't have anything last season, the embarrassment would be horrendous, and she couldn't choose anything too new, just in case the style never became a success. Narcissa Malfoy could not be seen in something that never became a trend. She had finally settled on her choice and the numerous compliments she received from all the other wives were accepted with a humble, gracious smile.

"Beautiful work, my dear," Lucius said, surveying the people as they arrived and mingled.

The two of them stood next to the large doors that everyone entered through that connected to the foyer, allowing them the chance to greet everyone who arrived. The rest of the manor was warded off so no one could go anywhere but the foyer, ballroom, and the designated section of the gardens. Most of the attendees had arrived already, allowing Narcissa to observe them as they mingled together. The Dark Lord had always favored punctual followers and attending the first ball held for the Dark in over a decade was a worthy occasion, so many had arrived early.

As the hostess, Narcissa had needed to be at the ball before anyone else, and as her husband, and the Dark Lords' Left Hand, Lucius had needed to be there with her. Draco, her darling boy, her little miracle, had only just arrived with his friends. Though the group of friends had obviously expanded due to recent events. Narcissa watched her sweet son mingling with his normal group of housemates and the people Potter had invited but refused to tell her the names of.

She understood Potters' desire to keep his allies secret but honestly, it was beyond rude to withhold information from the hostess. How could she pull off a worthy and extravagant enough ball under such limiting conditions? Narcissa sniffed. It didn't matter now, of course, because, as always, she had done the impossible and the ball looked exceptional.