Chapter 10: Thank You for the Welcoming Present

Thank You for the Welcoming Present

The next morning, Tobi woke Harry and after a quick shower, he was able to use the wand to shave and trim his hair a bit. He would either have to grow it out much longer to properly use the hairband or just keep it short and Harry wasn't sure he had the patience to grow it out. Throwing on some casual blue robes since he had no plans to leave today, Harry then followed Tobi to breakfast.

Again, there was silence as the food was served and their plates filled. "I planned on giving you the tour of the house after breakfast since we were unable to do so yesterday," Marvolo began. "Then we could retire to the library and I will teach you the spell you need. As for your dueling training, how about in the afternoons, say around two? It will provide ample time to freshen up for dinner after."

Not seeing any flaws, Harry just nodded and continued with his eggs. His anger and frustration over the situation had leaked out of him last night in the Dueling Room. All too soon, Marvolo was leading Harry through the manor. Apparently, it was the Slytherin Manor, Harry wasn't sure how Marvolo had been able to claim access to it but didn't bother asking. It was still confusing but in the light of day and with markers pointed out, Harry felt that he'd be able to navigate better.

The manor was three floors. Marvolo's private wing, which now included Harry's room, resided on the third floor. And while Harry had seen Marvolo's office, the library, the small dining room, the Dueling Room, the little sitting room off of what Marvolo called the Gathering Room, and the Gathering Room itself, there was still a lot more. There were many more bedrooms for one, which were where his followers all stayed after their release from Azkaban. There was a formal dining room with a ridiculously long table, two potions labs, a ballroom with beautiful chandeliers, and then the gardens which were breathtaking.

"Of course, as my guest, you will have free reign over the manor unless of course a room is locked and then you must not enter." Harry nodded, he didn't have any intention of doing any snooping. He didn't want to risk a Dark Curse in response.

Finally, they arrived back at the library and Marvolo began instructing him on the ink refreshing spell: 'atramento meum refrigerium'*. Having mastered it within thirty minutes, Harry asked Tobi to retrieve his trunk, mentally grumbling about the bastard being such an excellent teacher.

Taking the first journal out of the trunk, Harry nervously licked his lips and felt Marvolo watching him intently. Regripping the foreign wand, Harry cast the refreshing spell. He held his breath and shakily let it out as he watched the faded ink darken. The words springing to life like they had been written yesterday. Harry almost cried out in relief at coming closer to answers. Tentatively, Harry brought the journal with him to one of the armchairs, completely oblivious to Marvolo still standing in the library. Glancing at the inside cover, Harry read the tiny printed script: Ashur Peverell. Settling further into the cushions of the chair and drawing up his knees, Harry turned the page and saw the tiny print continued.

It has been a long time coming that I finally put into words what my life has become. The past two years have been like no other. I must confess I find it hard to even begin. So let's start at the beginning, shall we? If you are reading this, I'm sure my account will feel all too familiar and I hope to provide my descendants with some consolation.

Harry's heart thudded frantically and his fingers tingled as he continued to read Ashur's account.

Currently I am nearing my eighteenth year of birth, however, it was just before my sixteenth year that things changed. It had been the months and weeks leading up to it that I recall as being some of the worst I've ever experienced. The irritability, the fever, the itchiness beneath the skin. What misery! And during the holidays of Yule as well. I was quite sullen about it all. It was only worse in the month leading to my day of birth. Previously I had been feeling out of sorts but nothing compared to my final month. I contributed my off-put feelings to witnessing the passing of my beloved grandfather. I challenged the murderer to a duel but because I was so distraught and off-put, I must admit that I did not perform admirably nor did I fare well. I was hit by a curse that should have left me for dead. In fact, if not for this gift I would have most certainly died.