Chapter 15: He's Our Son

He's Our Son

Ron sat in his room with Hermione, Ginny, and the twins. It had been four days since they met with Harry and they were going to approach his parents and Remus tonight. Hermione and Ginny had convinced his mum to invite the werewolf over, saying how he was probably feeling horribly alone right now. Of course, his mum jumped on the idea and at the prospect of the twins being over for dinner as well, she was happily bustling about the kitchen while his dad kept to the workshed.

"How are we going to do this?" Ginny finally sighed. She was leaning against the frame of the bed on the floor, her legs kicked out in front of her and arms crossed.

"Delicately," Hermione offered. She sat on top of the bed, leaning against Rons' knees that were propped up while he leaned against the headboard. He was thrilled at the contact and would have loved to pull her closer to his chest to wrap his arms around her, protecting her from the craziness of the outside world.

"We feel them out first," Ron began, his brow furrowed while he strategized a plan, pushing thoughts of cuddling Hermione out of his head for the moment. "Mention Harry or something, offhand. Like how it will be weird him not going to school with us or not being here and see how they react."

"What if they aren't receptive?" Fred asked. He and George were leaning against the wall closest to the door and acting eerily serious.

"Backtrack?" Ginny offered weakly. "Change the subject and hope they forget about it and suffer through an awkward dinner."

"Should we have some topics to fall back on if they aren't as on board as we thought?" Hermione asked, she was rubbing at her chest again, so Ron knew that she was worried and he wished he could comfort her. "So the backtrack can be done smoothly, and it doesn't look like we are floundering."

"Probably," Ron agreed. If he could strategize and plan everything out maybe that would take the weight off of the curly-haired witch's mind. "Start talking about your shop," he said nodding to Fred and George. "And we can ask about Bill and Charlie. Bring the topic completely away from Harry or school."

"What if they start out OK with things but then go against him?" Ginny asked nervously. "What then? By then we might have said too much."

"Obliviate?" Hermione suggested quietly.

The room was silent before slowly each Weasley sibling gave a short nod of agreement. "Yeah, to protect Harry," Ron said, not recognizing his own voice.

Dinner arrived far too quickly and soon the group was separated by his mum's calls for help setting up and preparing dinner. Hermione and Ginny were set to chopping vegetables and peeling potatoes, while the twins were in charge of setting the table and then cleaning up the living room, and Ron was put in charge of dragging his father out of his shed.

"Hey dad," Ron greeted, stepping into the overly packed shed filled with muggle knick-knacks. Ron remembered last summer, Harry and Hermione had tried explaining what some of the items were and so he recognized a toaster and a lava lamp.

"Ron, son, how are you?" His father asked, standing up from bending over one of his work tables.

"Great. Mum says dinners about ready and Professor Lupin will be here soon.'

"Right, right," his father muttered, looking back at the pile of items on his desk. Now would be a perfect time, Ron thought, to feel his father out about Harry. But how? His mind turning over the possible conversation starters, he licked his lips.

"Say, dad-"

"ARTHUR! RON!" his mothers' shrill scream cut him off.

"Looks like we've been summoned, eh? Best head in before your mother gets upset," his father chuckled, clapping him on the shoulder and guiding him out of the shop.