Meeting (11)

Your Pov

I lean back against the wooden bleacher. They won't agree with their decision... Arguing with the council wouldn't make a difference.

A loud bang of the entrance doors of city hall caused Uncle Tenzin to stand up from his seat.

"Korra, you shouldn't be here. This is a closed meeting."

"As the Avatar and a pro-bending player, I have a right to be heard. You can't cancel the finals." Korra states to the council.

"I know winning the championship means a lot to you. But as far as I'm concerned, we need to shut the arena down."

"What about the rest of you? Tarrlok, there's no way you're backing down from Amon, right?" Korra turns to Tarrlok hoping he'll join her side.

Tarrlok stands up from his seat "Actually, Tenzin and I agree for once."

"The council is unanimous. We're closing the arena." Tenzin tries to end the conversation.

"No!"

"You can't!"

Korra turns to Tarrlok. " I-I don't understand. I thought you, of all people, would take a stand against Amon." She tries to plead with him.

"While I am still committed to bringing that lunatic to justice, I will not put innocent lives at stake just so you and your friends can play a game." Tarrlok looks down at the trio.

"Pro-bending might only be a game to you, but think of what it means to the city! Right now the arena is the one place where benders and nonbenders gather together ... in-in peace! To watch benders ..." Mako steps forward creating an argument.

"Beat each other up! In peace! It's an inspiration to everyone!" He exclaimed pointing at the council

"I appreciate your naive idealism, but you're ignoring the reality of the situation."

"The reality is if you close the arena, you let Amon win!"

Bolin points to Korra. "Yes, exactly what she said! Yes!"

"I'm sorry, but our decision has been made. This meeting is adjourned."

Tarrlok picks up the gavel. A metal cable knocks off the gavel head and Tarrlok gasps.

Everyone turns to look toward the entrance of the courtroom as Lin enters the scene and coils her cable back, looking at the council.

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with the Avatar." Lin admits to the council.

"You do?"

"Yeah, you do?"

"I expected this kind of cut-and-run response from Tenzin." Tenzin looked at the situation indifferently.

"But the rest of you? Come on, show a little more backbone. It's time that the benders of this city displayed some strength and unity against these Equalists."

"We must prevent the conflict between benders and non-binders from escalating into all-out war!"

"The council is not changing its position, Lin."

"Now just a moment, Tenzin. Let us hear what our esteemed Chief of Police has in mind. "Tenzin grunts and folds his arms.

"If you keep the arena open, my metal benders and I will provide extra security during the championship match. There's no better force to deal with the chi-blockers. Our armor is impervious to their attacks." Lin reassures them.

"Are you saying that you will personally take responsibility for the safety of the spectators in the arena?"

Uncle Tenzin looks at Tarrlok with a mixture of anger and suspicion.

"I guarantee it." Lin determinedly told the council.

Tarrlok scornfully and sarcastically "It is hard to argue with Chief Beifong's track record. He turns to the council."

"If she is confident her elite officers can protect the arena, then she has my support. I am changing my vote."

He raises his hand. "Who else is with me?"

The other three council members raise their hands as Tenzin turns away in disappointment. "The arena stays open. Good luck in the finals."

The Fire Ferrets jump in their cheering.

"Thank you!"

"And good luck to you, Chief Beifong." Tarrlok walks out of the council hall.

Tenzin approaches Lin. " A word please, Lin." I stand up from my seat as he motions me to stay where I am.

"So much for your help. Y'know you could have used your title for good use." A voice spoke up as I let out a heavy sigh.

"Where are we? Republic City? My title won't be of any use against the council." I kept my back toward Mako and the group.

"But-"

"Y/n it's time to ahead home!" Uncle called out for me as I hurried over to him.

If only I could forget about that night.