Chapter 9: Sadie

There are a lot of colourful strobe lights gliding across the gym floor.

There's a table holding a glass punch bowl and at least thirteen different varieties of chips.

The room is so packed that "dancing" consists of people just standing in place and shaking their hips.

But I can't focus on any of that because I'm leaning against a cold metal pole that holds up a pair of red bleachers.

And Tyrone is kissing me.

After two different slow songs, the DJ decided that we needed to "get this party started" with some sort of loud pop music that you only hear on the radio. Angie and Dimitri were hopping around to the music last I saw them. Ana and her date were slowly swaying to the music, but the this new genre seemed to have turned her off from any more time on the dance floor, and I swear I last saw her sitting at a table reading fanfiction on her phone while Sky awkwardly sat beside her and sipped on his punch. I don't know where Carter, Landon, and their dates went because I was too busy listening to Ty complain about how lame this party is and how we should just get out of here.

That's how we ended up under the bleachers, and how he decided he was so slick that I didn't notice him slowly trailing his hand up the side of my dress and wrapping an arm around my waist. He was honestly pretty clumsy about it and almost knocked his head on the top of the bleachers. Out of respect for his ego, I didn't ask if he knew what he was doing, and just let him guide his mouth to mine.

He's not a bad kisser, so I don't know why I don't want to kiss him back. And I don't know why I can't get Carter's disapproval out of my head. He's messing with my head, and I can't allow that. So, I try to deepen the kiss and while Ty is unnecessarily encouraged, and I just feel sick. I move my hand out of his hair and use it to push gently at his chest. He doesn't seem to get the message, so I shove him a little harder until our lips disconnect. His eyes are hooded as he licks his lips and then he brings his gaze to meet mine.

"I'm going to go find my friends," I say, trying to put as much distance as possible between the two of us.

"Okay. Yeah, okay. I'll find you later?" From the way his gaze rests on my lips, I understand what he means.

"No, I don't think so." I look at his surprised expression, "I going to head back to my dorm when I find them."

He opens his mouth to say something else, but I cut him off. "See you around, Ty." And I suppress the desire to breakout into a run to get away. What is wrong with me?

Rushing out from under the bleachers, I realize that the DJ has switched back to slow songs. Through the throng of people I spot Ana's pink dress, not having moved from her spot at a white table draped with a pale blue tablecloth. She remains engrossed in her phone and startles when I tap her on the shoulder.

"Where's Sky?" I ask, dragging over a white chair and falling on top of it, quite ungracefully.

"Who?" She asks, looking back down at her phone. "Oh, right. My date. I don't know. Some girl asked him to dance. He asked if it was okay if he went, and I told him it was fine."

"And what are you doing on your phone?" I raise an eyebrow at her.

"Reading," she shrugs.

"Porn?" And we both startle and whip around to see Landon staring at both of us.

Ana rolls her eyes. "It's called smut. And no; you interrupted before I got there."

"Whatever. I'm looking for Lena. Do you know where she is?" He asks.

"Why would I know where the fuck your girlfriend is? I'm not a fucking babysitter," Ana spits out before taking a sip from a cup I assume is filled with punch.