Bonus Chapter: "I Love You"

Sadie

I am walking through the halls of the girls' freshman dormitory as fast as my legs will carry me, my heels–a red pair gifted by Anastasia and Angie when we graduated the eleventh grade–clicking on the hard floor. Carter is running after me, but I still have the advantage, walking a few meters in front of him. He's not even supposed to be in the girls' dormitory, but apparently Carter can charm any girl into opening the door for him. Ridiculous.

"Sadie, please," he calls out, and the use of my first name almost makes me turn around. Almost.

Taking the stairs up to the the second floor, I reply, without turning around, "You know, Carter, I don't see why you constantly seem to convince yourself that you are above me."

I reach the top of the stairs, Carter even closer on my heels. I'd amuse myself with the fact that I am out running (quickly walking) my boyfriend who's on the track team, but he would have caught up with me if he didn't get lost within the complicated halls of the girls' dorms. But, now that I am in his sight, I think that it won't take long for him to catch my arm.

"For the millionth time, Sadie, I don't see myself above you nor you below me." Well that's redundant. He pauses and I can almost picture the smirk that curves his lips before he speaks. "Well, maybe I see you below me in other ways. But not when it comes to academics."

And that's the comment that makes me stop walking as I groan and turn around to face him. "You honestly can't help but bring your ego into our argument?"

His smirks transforms into a full-blown grin, which would cause half of the student population at Fairridge to drop to his feet, but I hold my ground. I assess my boyfriend, who has caught up to stand in front of me. His messy brown hair has grown out a little longer, but, apart from that, he looks the same as he always has. With my heels on, we're almost the same height, but he's still an inch or two taller. My gaze traces the freckles on the tops of his cheeks and nose, refusing to drop to the gorgeous dimples on either side of his mouth. He's infuriatingly attractive.

"I was merely making a statement," he says, still smiling.

"Next time, bite your tongue."

It's the beginning of November of senior year and Carter and I have been going back and forth from fiercely competing to working together. Since recently being crowned Valedictorian (no surprise) with Carter, we've had a multitude of events to plan. The largest upcoming event is a winter ball strictly for the senior class that must be almost completely ready before we leave for Thanksgiving break because there's no fucking way we'll have enough time to get anything done before winter break.

"I don't understand why you're mad at me," Carter says, throwing his arms up in frustration.

"How can you be an honours student and not understand such a simple concept: you fucked with my tutoring business, Conners."

His lips rise slightly with the use of his last name, but then he says, "I didn't fuck with anything. You have people to tutor–"

"Tutees," I interrupt.

"What?" He asks.

"People I tutor. The correct term is tutees."

A lustful look appears in his eyes and I have to look away if I'm going to continue to hold my ground.

"You still have tutees, I just got rid of one." He shrugs his shoulders like he doesn't see the big deal.

"Shawn was going to be my highest paying client," I remind Carter.

"Of course he was," Carter says, clearly irritated. "He doesn't need tutoring! He's already the top of the junior class."

I cross my arms. "So? Everyone can use a little extra help. And I could use the extra money." I don't need to remind him that I'm trying to save up for college.