Chapter 34: Carter

Sadie and I step off stage after everyone is done getting pictures of all of us standing on the podium. We walk over to Ms. Davenport, who crushes us with hugs and practically sobs about how proud of us she is. We try to hand her the cheque Dr. Snyder gave Sadie, but she doesn't accept it, saying that it's for us to keep. That's fifty thousand fucking dollars each. I hand her the trophy, though, telling her that she can take it back to Fairridge tonight. That makes her start tearing up again. Ms. Davenport has always been a good debate coach, teaching us skills that have helped her previous teams win and always encouraging us to be the best. She earned this moment.

Leaving her to chat with Dr. Snyder, who approaches her with two flutes of champagne, Sadie and I head over to our group of combined friends waiting for us, bright smiles carved out on each of their faces. Ana and Angie engulf Sadie in bone-crushing hugs, while Sadie hugs them back with equal force. I think I see a tear slip down her cheek. Dimitri and Landon slap me on the back and hug me.

"Good job, Carter," Dimitri says, sounding so sincere that even I begin to feel my eyes string a little bit.

"Yeah, you fucking did it, man," Landon adds.

"Thanks, you guys," I tell them.

Gracie and Felix pull all of us into a group hug, jumping up and down and cheering. I'm sure they're trying to rub our win in everyone else's faces.

I wait for someone to tell us to start putting away the chairs for the after party, but, instead, I see Dr. Snyder re-take the stage, a microphone in tow. I take the seat closest to me–Sadie follows–with a confused expression on my face.

"Now, I know you are all eager for food, drinks, and dancing, but we have one more award to give out."

This only makes me even more confused.

"For the first time in JW Debate history, we will be awarding a Best Individual Debater Award. This award honours the achievements of one student in their individual debates and how they worked with their partner."

Sadie and I exchange confused glances. I have no idea why they would start giving out an individual award. Is it for someone who's team didn't place? Or is it one of the six of us?

"So," Dr. Snyder says to the completely silent hall. "I would like to invite Carter Conners to the stage to accept this award."

I don't know what's going on. Landon and Dimitri are clapping and whooping like crazy, along with Gracie and Felix. Anastasia, Angie, and Sadie are clapping politely, but Sadie looks about as confused as I do. Reluctantly, I get to my feel and walk up onto the stage. Dr. Snyder places another metal around my neck and hands me a plaque with the title of my award.

"Carter Conners–also the winner of this competition with his partner, Sadie Jones–has delivered a stellar performance over the last seven days. He's won all of his debates, accumulating a score higher than anybody else in this competition," Dr. Snyder announces to the crowd.

I stand frozen on the stage as he continues to ramble on about my stats. I try to focus on something to make me appear less uncomfortable. Usually, I'm good at accepting awards. Some might even say I'm cocky about it when I do. But this is so unexpected that I'm expecting someone come on stage to say "psych!"

"Give it up for Carter Conners," Dr. Snyder bellows. Everyone begins clapping and I take that as my cue to head off stage, earning another hug from Ms. Davenport as I head back to my friends.

"What the fuck?" Landon exclaims, wrenching the plaque out of my hands and reading it before handing it back to me.

"'What the fuck' indeed," I say, shaking my head.