Chapter 32: Carter

"Why are we going go-karting again?" Sadie asks, stepping out of the bathroom in a pair of sweatpants and a cropped tank top.

"Because it's fun and it's our last day with Felix and Gracie," I tell her, putting on a black t-shirt. It's now that I realize that we're practically matching with our grey sweatpants and black tops. Sadie seems to realize as well because the corner of her mouth turns up into a smirk as she looks me up and down, but she doesn't say anything.

Then, her expression turns somber. "I'm really going to miss them."

"We'll still stay in touch," I tell her, but I already know what she's going to say.

"It's not the same. It's going to be weird not seeing them everyday. Like, I know we just met Gracie, and we've only known Felix a few days more, but they're our friends." I agree with every word she says.

"We can find ways to meet up," I say.

"I guess," Sadie says, but she doesn't sound convinced.

I don't know what's going to happen when we go back to Fairridge. Are Sadie and I just going to go back to only interacting through our friends and snarky comments? Are we just going to pretend that everything that's happened between the two of us this past week just... didn't happen? And not seeing Felix and Gracie. I've missed Landon and Dimitri so fucking much–and that's with seeing them halfway through the week–so I don't what I'm going to do without Felix's constant weird-ass comments or his life-of-the-party complex. And I like spending time with Gracie, even if she's more Sadie's friend than mine, not just because being around her, consequently, means that I'm around Sadie, but because she's fun and matches Felix's energy better than anybody else.

I feel my phone buzz in my pocket. Pulling it out, I see Landon's contact name flash across the screen. I accept the call and place the phone up to my ear.

Landon, I mouth to Sadie.

She nods. I'll wait downstairs, she mouths back, exiting the room to go meet Felix and Gracie in the lobby.

"What's up?" I ask Landon when the door shuts.

"We're coming!" He exclaims into my ear, prompting me to put my phone on speaker.

"I'm going to need some more details," I laugh.

"To the ceremony. You know, the one this afternoon," he explains.

I do a double take. "Wait, what? Are you serious?"

"Fuck yeah! Ms. Davenport is going and she agreed to drive us. The school just considers it a mini field trip."

"Who is 'us?'" I ask, even though I'm pretty sure that I know the answer.

"Oh, um, me, Dimitri, Angie, and, um, Anastasia."

"Awe, a double date," I tease.

"Oh, fuck off," Landon groans. "We're coming to see you and Sadie, of course her friends are coming. And Angie is Dimitri's girlfriend."

"And Anastasia is your ex-girlfriend," I point out.

He groans again. "I know. So, you're very lucky that I'm such a good friend that I'm willing to put up with this just to see you."

"Thank you, Landon, for this sacrifice," I tell him, feigning sincerity. "But where's Dimitri? Why are you calling me?"

"First off, I'm hurt. We haven't called each other in forever–"

"I called you yesterday," I interject.

"Not the point," Landon says. "But he's in class."

"And why aren't you in class?" I ask. I swear, Landon can not afford to miss any more classes.