Chapter 23: Sadie

I don't know what's going on. One minute I was dancing with Carter–something I never thought I'd do–and, the next, he was running after a distraught looking Felix. I wanted to run after them, but something told me I shouldn't. Whatever is going on, I think Felix needs Carter right now.

This leaves me in an awkward situation: standing in the middle of the dance floor staring at the door Carter and Felix just escaped through, along with everybody else.

Brad comes up to me asking for another dance. I decline as politely as possible. I'm not trying to bruise the guy's ego, but I think I'm all danced out for the night. He was a good dancer, nice and steady on his feet, and I can't for the life of me figure out why a part of me preferred Carter stepping on my toes every minute to Brad gliding me across the room as if he'd done it a hundred times before. It unnerves me that I actually enjoyed being near Carter. And that I kind of miss him now that he's gone. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with me.

Everyone seems to have gone back to what they were doing before the commotion and, being the only one standing around alone, I think I better get out of here. I find a punch table near the back corner of the room. I can't help but remember when Carter and I were standing at a very similar punch table back at Fairridge, arguing. Picking up a red solo cup, I fill it with a light pink liquid that smells as if it's flavoured with strawberries. Someone comes up behind me and taps my shoulder, startling me to the point where I almost drop my cup in the bowl of punch. I'm met with a pair of amber eyes.

"Sadie, right?" Gracie asks. She's wearing a dark blue dress that hugs her curvy figure perfectly. She's even shorter now that I'm wearing heels and she's decided on silver flats.

"Yeah. Gracie?"

"Yeah! OMG, this dance is crazy, right?"

"Yeah, it's pretty extravagant," I comment. The band had switched to playing a more upbeat song, so now everyone's hopping around on the dance floor. "Are you here with anyone?"

"Just my debate partner, Amanda. She doesn't really like me, though. She's a senior and only a year older than me, but I swear she acts as if she's being forced to babysit me. Either way, some guy asked her to dance so she's not around," she says, picking up a cup off the table and filing it with the same strawberry punch that I'm sipping on. "What about you? Was that guy in the black suit your date?

"No" I reply. "Just my debate partner."

"Damn, only your partner. What's wrong with him?"

"Asshole."

Her face twists into a frown. "Misogynistic asshole?"

I laugh, "No, just the regular kind."

"Damn, that sucks. He's hot."

"I guess," I mumble, taking another swig of my drink.

"You want to get out of here?" She asks, and that peaks my interest.

"Where to?"

"They're having some sort of pop up fair down the street in some parking lot. Most of the games are lame and for like six year olds, but they've got a ferris wheel."

"Okay, sure." Honestly, I'd rather be anywhere but here. I had my moment in the dress and a few dances. It's time to get the hell out of here.

Gracie was right. The fair is littered with children and all of the games and rides are only small enough to fit someone who is under four feet. All throughout the parking lot there are bounce houses, stands serving ice cream and fried food, and stands with games that win you stuffed animals. The glory of the fair is the promised ferris wheel, all lit up under the setting sun. Standing in front of it is a teenage girl smacking her gum and looking uninterestingly at her phone. Gracie grabs my hand and pulls us toward the girl, using her other hand to pull her wallet out of her dress pocket. Yes, her dress has pockets and it's fucking awesome.