Chapter 39: Sadie

I wake up.

Alone.

The last thing I remember before I fell asleep was Carter kissing the top of my head while we sat curled up together on the patio's couch. I welcomed the press of his lips against my skin and promptly melted into him. But I'm no longer outside on the patio. I sit up to take in my surroundings. A brown desk overflowing with paperwork is stationed in the corner of the blue-walled room. I'm on top of a pilling grey couch, decorated with red and blue striped pillows. A small coffee table–matching the colour of the desk–is in front of me, a cup of steaming coffee sitting on top of it. Rubbing my eyes, I come to the conclusion that I am in some sort of break room for employees on their lunch break, Carter's parents' office, or both.

Just thinking about Carter–his grip on my hips, his lips on my neck–causes an unusually giddy smile to light up my face. I can't remember the last time I felt giddy. The alarm bells in my head are going off. Do not let him in! Don't fall for him! But, for the first time, I don't want to listen to them. All I want is... him.

Still in my cropped tank and sweatpants from last night, I roll off the couch and strut over to the corner of the room that contains our luggage from Lux Inn. I rummage through one of my bags and retrieve the Fairridge shirt Carter gave me, pulling it over my head so it engulfs me and covers my midriff.

Stepping out of the break room/office, I glance down at my phone and find a bunch of group chat texts from Gracie and Felix, telling us that they made it back to school safe. I have a few texts from Ana and Angie from when I told them that I'm spending the weekend with Carter. Replaying the night that my friends left Lux Inn, I can't help but think that this predicament has something to do with whatever Ana said to Carter before she left. I haven't asked her about it yet, but I will.

It's 10 AM and the diner is packed with guests. Elderly couples drink coffee, college kids indulge in large breakfast plates, and servers–two teenage boys around my age–weave through tables with trays and notepads in hand. Discreetly, I slip into the kitchen through the swinging door to find who I'm looking for.

Carter cuts up a pineapple with a large chef's knife, wearings a chef's hat that sits slightly tilted on his head and an apron. I would take the time to admire his face of concentration, but my attention turns toward a girl–also around our age–wearing a black apron around her waist. She's standing beside him, their hips touching. She's pretty with blonde hair pulled into a messy French braid and black glasses sliding down the bridge of her nose. She huffs out a breath, pushing them back up her nose. Carter laughs at her irritation.

There's this strange feeling in my gut, as if someone took my esophagus and wrapped it around my stomach. The tightening feeling of jealousy. I internally scoff at myself. Jealous, really, Sadie? He's talking to another girl. It's not like you're dating. Get it the fuck together.

I let out an annoyed breath at my thoughts, causing Carter and the girl to stop looking at each other and turn to face me. "Morning," I say to diffuse the silence.

Carter's lips stretch into a huge grin, looking me up and down, focus staying on his shirt that I am wearing. "Morning, Sunshine."

The girl beside him breaks out into a sudden short fit of laughter. "This is the girl?" She asks. My eyebrows rise. He told her about me. "She is so out of your league, Carter. I'm almost impressed."

"Shut up, Sabryn," Carter chastises. Her name is Sabryn.

"I know," I say. "I'm just as surprised as you are." Obviously, we're teasing him. Carter Conners can best be described as straight up gorgeous. With sparkling green eyes, messy brown hair, lean muscles, and dimpled cheeks. He's not bad to look at–a fact I couldn't even deny when I loathed every moment we spent in the same room.