2. Family

Alilla

A beaming ray of light peered through the thin curtains of my high school bedroom, I tossed over pulling the blanket over my head.  Jet lag was real.  I snuggled down into the covers, peacefully ready to doze back off to sleep when sleep hands pushed into my side to peer over me.  

"Momma, can we get up? The sun 's awake."   His sweet little words made my head pound.  It was time to start popping Advil and RedBull.  I rolled back over, opening my eyes to see his blonde curls and white smile.  I sure as hell made one beautiful human.  

"Goodmorning Sunshine. Ready to go eat?"  He smiled and crawled over to the edge of the bed and slid down onto the floor.  I followed shortly behind as I kicked the blankets off and got out of bed.  I grabbed my phone off the nightstand and went to the doorway where Alex waited, which wasn't like him since almost every morning he made sure he was the first one in the kitchen.  

He reached up for me with his arms extended.  I smiled, picking up the silly little boy.  I walked down the carpeted hall to the top of the stairs.  It took me a second just to realize how nothing had changed since I left for the US.  All my mothers iconic decor was still the same,  fake pastel flowers and striped wallpaper, most of all very cringe worthy.  

Down the steps we went,  the house was filled with the aroma of Cinnamon Rolls.  My father sat with his coffee mug talking to my mother across the table.  Their faces lit up as we entered the kitchen.  

"About time you two woke up!" My father exclaimed, jumping up to grab Alex from my arms.  Alex reached for him happily.  

My father pulled me into a hug and kissed my cheek, "Hello, sweetheart."  I had almost forgot what it felt like to be with my parents. Happy, safe and home.  

"Hi daddy." I spoke into the curve of his neck.  He pulled back and sat down with Alex in his lap. Mom went over and took the tray of treats out of the oven. 

"Food is almost ready!" She said delightedly.  Skinny arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me into a backwards embrace.  My little sister, Jane.  I turned around and pulled her into my arms.  A single tear fell from my eye and down my blushing creek.  

"Oh I missed you."  She said as she let me go and our eyes met, her brown eyes red filled with tears.  We laughed and Alex ran up to his aunt.  She picked him up in a big hug and kissed him repeatedly over his face.  "Hi babe!" She smiled.