Iceland

"I'm bored of chess"

"Only because you're losing"

This was true, L was...losing. The detective was 𝒔𝒖𝒓𝒆, he was smarter...so why was Light so good at chess?

It had been more than a week, almost two, since...𝒂𝒃𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒆, as it were. Without going into too much detail, 𝒂𝒍𝒍 their showers were cold now.
It was strange, to think the men had been chained for a month now. Together, twenty-four hours, seven days a week, for a 𝒎𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒉. They were so used to each other, it was as if neither had ever been alone. It wasn't...actually as disastrous as L had been expecting. They had a strong friendship, entertaining chats, and a good dynamic. Light Yagami was not 𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒕, he was just further out of reach - but close enough that the detective could still, somewhat enjoy him.

When they didn't work, they played chess. Only chess, constantly 𝒄𝒉𝒆𝒔𝒔. When it wasn't chess, it was the '𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒚 𝒄𝒂𝒑𝒊𝒕𝒂𝒍 𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒔𝒕'. It had been L's favourite, a variation of word tennis. Where one opponent would yell a country, the other, would have to name the capital city, of said country - as quick as possible. If they stuttered, or were wrong, the opposition would gain a point - simple really. Until of course, Light used his superpowers to memorise every capital city of the earth, after spending about an hour with an atlas. Just to prove a point. It wasn't fun anymore if your fellow competitor knew every answer.

"It's not because I'm losing Light-kun...we play too much chess"

It was because he was losing, and Light knew this was the reason, the detective wasn't even sure why he denied it. Probably because admitting it would be absolutely terrible and the boy didn't deserve the satisfaction.

"Then let's have a round of the '𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒚 𝒄𝒂𝒑𝒊𝒕𝒂𝒍 𝒈𝒂𝒎𝒆'...or whatever"

Was Light doing it on purpose? Ever since...𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒅𝒂𝒚. They'd been normal, to some degree. A part from L's increased irritability. Though he hypothesised it was just the pent up sexual frustration.

"𝑪𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒚 𝒄𝒂𝒑𝒊𝒕𝒂𝒍...𝑪 𝑶 𝑵 𝑻 𝑬 𝑺 𝑻"

L mumbled in his monotonous voice, sprinkled with slight resentment at Light's repetitive mistake.

"Oh, well I do 𝒉𝒖𝒎𝒃𝒍𝒚 apologise for my detrimentally hurtful error, within the inexactness of my chosen vocabulary...regarding a mere 𝒈𝒂𝒎𝒆- or rather, should I say, 𝑪𝑶𝑵𝑻𝑬𝑺𝑻"

Light was probably sexually frustrated too...but it was annoying, because whenever the boy was smug and slightly flipped that uncomfortably perfect fringe out of his irritatingly pretty eyes...L wanted to slam him into the ground. Light wanted to be slammed into the ground, he couldn't help but act up - why else would he be such insufferable company?

They always got along, but they were always angry with each other - how did that work? L wished it wasn't so, because it was anger that excited him. If he couldn't use it to his advantage and get the boy into bed - what was the point? It wasn't fun anymore, it was just annoying.

The detective's inner complaints were all contradictions however...the pair both knew they wouldn't have the traits of their friend, changed in any way.

This is why it was wrong, why it felt weird. Were they both just content with the certainty that they would never know what they had, with 𝒂𝒏𝒚𝒐𝒏𝒆 else? Was Light just going to subject himself, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 L to constant misery and loneliness because of his 𝒑𝒓𝒊𝒅𝒆? Yeah, probably, it definitely sounded like a Yagami trait.