Part 3: I Believe You

"Ryuzaki? What are you talking about?"

"I said Light....that I believe you"

𝑩𝒆𝒍𝒊𝒆𝒇...it was a strange thing—𝑻𝒓𝒖𝒔𝒕, was an unusual thing. Why did the detective do it? He didn't entirely trust his friend—no, the irony of his declaration of '𝒃𝒆𝒍𝒊𝒆𝒇' is that it was a lie. One L couldn't believe 𝒉𝒊𝒎𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒇. If Light was Kira, he'd be smirking sinfully behind those pretty eyes right now. But those two deceiving lanterns of integrity were leading the detective astray. Light looked so kind and innocently principled—the enticing camouflage to his subterfuge had ushered the greatest detective's powers of reasoning successfully over a cliff's edge. If Light was Kira he'd either be rejoicing that his plan to seduce L with endearing words and long embraces had 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒌𝒆𝒅; now the detective was his mouldable lump of mindless clay. 𝑶𝒓, as Light had suggested, Kira just didn't believe him. Regardless of what went on behind that face of 𝒊𝒓𝒓𝒊𝒕𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒍𝒚 irksome perfection...it didn't matter to L anymore. They were going to find and 𝒄𝒂𝒕𝒄𝒉 Kira in a few days. Then there would likely be a next, then a next, then a next as each successor to Kira's power was crowned by the original Kira himself—𝑳𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕. Finally, everything had suddenly dawned on L—𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒅𝒊𝒅 𝒊𝒕 𝒎𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒓? Whether or not the detective said it, whether or not he'd said 𝒂𝒏𝒚𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈...he was already transforming into a material of compliancy. This didn't matter. L didn't feel he was giving anyone the satisfaction, it didn't necessarily feel like a defeat, but a break to breathe. Whatever the man in front of him was—a monster, a man, an enigma, a 𝒍𝒊𝒆...he trusted the detective. At least, he'd said so, 𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒗𝒊𝒏𝒄𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒍𝒚. Trusted L to take care of his secrets, look after his body; tend to his hidden needs. Would Kira do this as part of an act? The detective, didn't think so. It would be normal for anyone to decline the suggestion of intimacy; reject it with the good reason that their circumstance was 𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒆 than just a mild hindrance. 𝑭𝒖𝒓𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒆, L decided that Kira would most likely be better at disguising his feelings of attraction—it was just a hunch.

Being romantically involved; 𝒑𝒉𝒚𝒔𝒊𝒄𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 involved, would put Kira in a vulnerable position. Such a man would despise being with L in this way—not because he didn't want it, but because it would be seen as 𝒘𝒆𝒂𝒌𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒔. For Light Yagami to be open like this—the detective had a suspicion that, either he'd underestimated Kira's 𝒈𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒖𝒔...or, right now Light Yagami...was just Light Yagami. So, as this boy spoke to the detective about trust; about 𝒍𝒐𝒚𝒂𝒍𝒕𝒚. This time, a blameless soul materialised in his view and he could feel nothing but...𝒑𝒊𝒕𝒚? If—as the detective had deducted—Light was truly only Light in this moment, he wanted to reciprocate his trust, even if Kira came back. It wasn't worth all this strife—because who knows when the villain would return? Maybe all these inner ramblings were just the detective convincing himself that he could give Light reassurances and everything would be fine. Perhaps, it was the smart people to make all dumb decisions in life....because they can effectively justify it with their chosen logic. Either way, words would not change anything now. If Kira was Light it was too late. If Light was Kira L loved him, and the boy deserved the uttering assurances of the detective's trust.

"Believe me, 𝒉𝒐𝒘?"

"I suppose 𝒉𝒐𝒘, isn't as important as 𝒘𝒉𝒚 Light-kun"

Of course Light was suspicious. This had taken a crazily unpredictable turn. How depressing, that the boy would never expect L to ever say '𝑰 𝒃𝒆𝒍𝒊𝒆𝒗𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖'. All he expected was doubt, scepticism and mistrust.

The detective didn't recognise any of the words occurring within his head—this wasn't like him at all. Guilt? Hesitancy? Second thoughts? All because of 𝒉𝒊𝒎—Light Yagami. The detective thought he was different, he thought when it truly came down to it, at the end of all things, he would magically devise a plan to escape Kira's clutches—put Light to 𝒅𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒉. Alas, no. This would not be the case anymore.