Part 1: Last, in the Sequence of Significant Last Memories

"I don't need two or three days to decide, I 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒅𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔"

Matsuda had stepped forward, bravely agreeing to their objective with clenched fists and determined eyes. Every task force member was excited; was 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒎𝒊𝒕𝒆𝒅. Including L himself.

It had seemed like an excellent plan at the time. Matsuda, the frosted glass, Sakura TV, the bugged cars, secret cameras, the announcement of Kira's identity; the truth of his 𝒌𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒎𝒆𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒅.

It had seemed like an excellent plan...but now, L wasn't so sure.

Everything had gone perfectly; executed to perfection, in accordance with their genius plan of action.

Knowledge of the Death Note; how Kira killed, came at a price. L should've known—he 𝒅𝒊𝒅 know. Everything came at a price...why did he do 𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈, to prevent this?

Light and L had become '𝒕𝒐𝒐 𝒄𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒆'.

Now Light was gone.

So was the chain that bonded them.

It was gone.

Light was different. His presence unnerving.

As L reminisced the course of their developed friendship in chronology...when was the last 𝒔𝒊𝒈𝒏𝒊𝒇𝒊𝒄𝒂𝒏𝒕 instance where Light was normal?

An instance—a time; a 𝒔𝒑𝒆𝒄𝒊𝒂𝒍 𝒅𝒂𝒚.
A moment L would remember until he died.

The memory that came 𝒍𝒂𝒔𝒕, in L's Sequence of Significant Last Memories...

How did Matsuda find out? He was oblivious to everything. Yet he was smiling all day. He giddily made L too many coffees, to the point it was suspicious. Even though it was—𝒐𝒇 𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒔𝒆—in need of celebration, because without this day, Light's life would be boring forever. However, the boy didn't admire these acts of kindness. In fact, he loathed them. Which was unusual for Light's character—for he approved of the goodness in humanity; advocated it, it was vital. But unfortunately, to his own dismay, it forced a scowl on his face whenever Matsuda would knowingly smile. When his eyes would sparkle with the warming quality of agreeable sunlight on a spring day. It was gentle, unalike to summer. L had compared 𝑳𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 to summer. His effect was intense and blazing...L said so, so it must 𝒃𝒆. The boy got hot when L's eyes lingered in his direction. But in company, brown eyes were good at deceiving—nobody would know. And even when Light Yagami ceased to look, he 𝒇𝒆𝒍𝒕 the detective's scrutiny; his careful examination, like tiny pinpricks all over. His skin throbbed from the afflictions; body felt warm from the bleeding. Nevertheless, Light craved this attention, and it was all too gratifying when he received it.

Anyway, Light didn't want anyone—especially 𝑴𝒂𝒕𝒔𝒖𝒅𝒂 knowing his plans. He already knew too much. Light couldn't look him in the eyes properly since that day. But it was alright, the boy doubted Matsuda would reciprocate any substantial eye contact—if he received any. Why didn't the boy want anyone knowing the day? It's significance? Because, it was only for L and Light to know. A secret. It was all too fun when it's a secret. Matsuda had pierced their privacy once already...it was preferable he didn't do it again. So...𝒉𝒐𝒘 𝒉𝒂𝒅 𝒉𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅 𝒐𝒖𝒕? Light was so clever, yet he racked his brain. How? 𝑾𝒉𝒐? Who could of 𝒑𝒐𝒔𝒔𝒊𝒃𝒍𝒚 told him—without Light's knowledge?

L had been confused all day. Light's behaviour had been...𝒐𝒇𝒇, since this morning. This morning, the detective hadn't awoken to his usual Light Yagami. But one that was avoidant and blunt. '𝑪𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝒐𝒏. 𝑾𝒆 𝒏𝒆𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒌. 𝑲𝒊𝒓𝒂 𝒘𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒄𝒂𝒕𝒄𝒉 𝒉𝒊𝒎𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒇' The detective was practically dragged from the bed and willed to unlock the cuff by a blank stare. What had been wrong? It was a shame, for it had to be 𝒕𝒐𝒅𝒂𝒚, that Light had woken up in a mood. But what caused it? Was it just...'𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒅𝒂𝒚𝒔?' Sometimes people would wake up, and for no particular reason, would be grumpy. Didn't they refer to it as, waking up on the '𝒘𝒓𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒔𝒊𝒅𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒅?' L never understood this. He would never sleep in a bed, but always be on the '𝒘𝒓𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒔𝒊𝒅𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒊𝒕'. Disregarding 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕, usually if his friend were in a bad mood, L would be able to coax the reason from him...but no...he didn't talk to L about it. He avoided him 𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒊𝒓𝒆𝒍𝒚. Could it be that the boy was planning something? Maybe he remembered the occasion and decided to deceive the detective, for then, the surprise gift would be all the more special. Light had no opportunity to gift L with 𝒂𝒏𝒚𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈...so perhaps this was wishful thinking...Light wasn't the most sentimental of creatures regardless, nor was the detective really. Today, was just the same, as any day prior, and any day to come. There was no need to acknowledge it...so why was L 𝒅𝒊𝒔𝒂𝒑𝒑𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒅? It didn't make much sense.