12. surprise

Max POV

Nick had taken Charlie to the beach today as a surprise.

He came back home around 4pm and he looked very happy.
"You look very smiley, did you have a good day?" mum asked.
"Yeah, yeah it was really good," Nick said.

Nick went over to the kitchen where I was sat on the counter on my phone and paused before making a cup of tea. He went over to sit on the end of the table by mum and I still sat there.

"Mum," Nick said.
"Mmh," Mum said
"You know Charlie's like my best friend?"
"If your asking if he can come on our holiday this year the answers no because I've already booked the tickets,"
"No, that's not what I was going to say,"

There was an awkward pause and I looked up from my phone.
"He's my boyfriend, Charlie's my boyfriend," Nick said. "I-I I still like girls but..I like boys too... and me and Charlie, we're, we're going out, and I just, wanted you to know,"

"Oh, baby," mum said and she hugged Nick.
"Thank you for telling me," she said. "I'm sorry if I ever made you feel like you couldn't tell me that,"

They broke the hug and mum said.
"You don't have to say you like girls if you don't,"
"No i um...it's definitely not just guys...I um, it's called bisexuality. If you've heard of that," Nick said.
"I have heard of that, I wasn't born in the 18th Century," mum said. "How long have you known?"
"Well, I'm me and Charlie started dating a couple months ago but I liked him way before that,"
"Oh I love you," Mum said.

I sat there quietly still on my phone. I was so proud of my brother. After a while, we we're sat in the living room.

Nick🏉

Just to let you know, I'm proud
You told mum
~Max

Yeah, it feels good. You should
do it too though
~Nick

I can't and you know that
~ Max

Why not?
~ Nick
it's scary
~ Max

Don't tell me your scared of mum
~ Nick

No,  just scared of what she'll
say
~  Max

You should tell her Max,
it wasn't that bad for me.
It might help ease your anxiety
as well. I hope I don't sound like I'm
pressuring you. If it feels like that
I'm sorry
~ Nick

No, your not pressuring me. I think
I might wanna do it
~ Max

I put my phone down.
"Urr mum... I don't know how to say this...and I'm scared of how you will react," I started. My leg was bopping up and down.
"Max sweetie, what's wrong?" She asked.
"Well, after Nick started learning about his sexuality...I started to research as well and...I started to relate some some of things...and especially after B*n and I did a quiz..." I said.

There was a pause.
"I'm so sorry...this is a lot harder than I thought it would be," I said and went to get up.
"Sweetie, it's ok. Stay here and say what you we're going to say," Mum said.
"I think I like girls...I'm sorry," I said before running out of the room and going to my room. I then hid under the covers in my bed.

I heard a knock at the door and heard it open.
"Max, talk to me," mum said. I felt her sit on my bed and pull the cover of revealing my face.
"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. It was stupid," I cried.
"It's not stupid Max. I love you no matter if you like girls or boys that's fine." She said.
"Your not mad?" I asked.
"Of course not. I'm actually proud of you and that you told me. I know how much of a big deal it is," she said.
"Thank you mum," I smiled.
"It's ok darling," she said. "Let's go back downstairs," she suggested and I nodded wiping my eyes.